Does it matter where on the valve cover the PCV is? Top? Side? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Does it matter where on the valve cover the PCV is? Top? Side?

I am installing fabricated valve covers that I will have to drill holes for the breather and PCV.

I know the PCV goes on the driver's side...but does it matter if it is installed at an angle? (ie horizontal on the rear or a 45 degree tilt towards the carb)

Same question with the breather...probably needs to be verticle but can I install it anywhere on the top of the valve cover with no issues?

Any pic of non-standard installs of these two things?

Thanks!

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 08:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: Does it matter where on the valve cover the PCV is? Top? Side?

On mine I did the opissite of the norm the breather on the pasinger side is towards the fron and the pcv on the drivers is towards the rear. The main thing of concern is that the rockers dont hit them.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
On mine I did the opissite of the norm the breather on the pasinger side is towards the fron and the pcv on the drivers is towards the rear. The main thing of concern is that the rockers dont hit them.
Don't forget to install a baffle so it doesn't suck oil out of the cover!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Joe A

Good question here. I have seen multiple pictures of the PVC on either of the motor. Can anyone tell me which side is correct for a 010 code 350.

As of right now my PVC is on the pass side.

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

It shouldn't make a difference.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

The AIM always shows valve on the left, vent on the right for all V8s.
I believe there is a reason.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech

I didn't read the OP's question as meaning which valve cover to install the PCV in, rather can it be installed on the side of the valve cover instead of the top. If I read correctly, my 2 cents would be that you can install it on the side provided you get clearance between the valves, rockers, etc. However, sucking oil into the PCV is a big problem that could be made worse by placement. If it were me, I'd leave it in the top to avoid sucking oil and ensure there is a baffel in place.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

The top isn't always a better place either. I think the location depends on whether oil is actually splashing on it.

Pull a valve cover right after the engine has run and see if the top is any drier than the sides.
I bet it is not.

I plumb mine in through the sides and although it's only run on a stand and several dyno pulls, there is no evidence of oil being sucked in.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
John

The correct factory location of the pcv valve on 1st gen Camaros anyways is on the driver side front.There are arguments re: the crank/ rotating assembly throwing oil up on/into the pass side of the eng/vavletrain.On older camaros the pcv usually ran from the front driver side to , more often than not the front of a Q jet (except Z-28 etc.; Holley). Curiosly the new GM crate engines put the pcv on the driver side rear. I personally have tried both ways and run mine on the driver side rear into the back of a Holley carb,this way it doesn't interfere with my throttle linkage. On either side (top or side of valve cover) it will work.You will have to watch for oil being sucked into the intake manifold and clearance to rockers. Proper baffling is crucial or you will suck oil into your manifold! I have a really nice set of unbaffled GM vale covers that I tried to use with baffled grommets and it didn't work. Baffled grommets are junk. My other 2 sets of valve covers have the factory style baffles and I have no more issues. If you can get your fabricated valve covers with baffles I would highly recomend them for street use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1805.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	5351   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1666.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	5352  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Johnny5: I'm the OP here so I guess I can hijack my own thread...so here goes...

How did you get your Master Cylinder not to rust? Is that bare metal or is it coated?

So you gave up completely on baffled grommets and use factory bafflles now?

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
I didn't read the OP's question as meaning which valve cover to install the PCV in, rather can it be installed on the side of the valve cover instead of the top. If I read correctly, my 2 cents would be that you can install it on the side provided you get clearance between the valves, rockers, etc. However, sucking oil into the PCV is a big problem that could be made worse by placement. If it were me, I'd leave it in the top to avoid sucking oil and ensure there is a baffel in place.
You're right--that is what I was asking--I wanted to try and leave the top clean and uncluttered if possible. Johnny5 says that baffled grommets won't work--is there no other option that will allow me to use fabricated covers with no baffle installed? Can I weld baffles in without screwing up the covers?

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Steve, isn't that why they put baffles in front of the PCV valve? To make sure you don't suck up oil? I would think that as long as you have room and a baffle is used, then the PCV can anywhere you want, as long as you don't have any interference issues. The PCV system is going to pull vapors out no matter if it's in the front, rear, or side. As long as your system is in good working order, baffle installed, it doesn't make a difference.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Steve, isn't that why they put baffles in front of the PCV valve? To make sure you don't suck up oil? I would think that as long as you have room and a baffle is used, then the PCV can anywhere you want, as long as you don't have any interference issues. The PCV system is going to pull vapors out no matter if it's in the front, rear, or side. As long as your system is in good working order, baffle installed, it doesn't make a difference.
If this is so, I could put my PCV on the rear of my cover (if I can avoid rocker interference)...

What do I do for baffles if I shouldn't use grommets?

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
Johnny5: I'm the OP here so I guess I can hijack my own thread...so here goes...

How did you get your Master Cylinder not to rust? Is that bare metal or is it coated?

So you gave up completely on baffled grommets and use factory bafflles now?

Brentmc I know what You mean re: the master.The answer is, it's new.The booster is painted with cast blast.The car is only driven in the Summer and stored indoors. I didn't have any luck with baffled grommets I was sucking oil so, I dont use those unbaffled covers with the baffled grommets anymore. I think Wysco makes a breather for fabricated valve covers that didn't come with breather holes, but I don't know if they work or not.You will just have to drill holes. You can find them @ Jegs under- dress up- valve covers -breathers
Attached Images

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Thanks--my car is garaged and nice weather driven and I have clear coated the MC but it still gets rust in the corners. I didn't want to have to paint it buy may just do so....

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode