Wideband O2 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wideband O2

So, I am looking into getting a wideband O2 sensor, and I am trying to stay in the $300 range
these are the two that I have found so far
AEM
Innovative Motorsports

I believe both kits have everything including the gauge, sensor, and bung

I am also wondering if gauge from Innovative Motorsports will work well or if I should get one that has an LED display?
But I do prefer the look of their gauge, it will fit better with the rest of the car, but I still need to figure out where I am going to put it...

Thanks
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 04:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Re: Wideband O2

Are you using it for tuning or looks? For tuning you'll need to spend a little more. You have to get the LM1 kit with a RMP converter. If you want a gauge add a couple more $$. The LC-1 can't look at anything but AF. So if you using it for tuning I would not get that kit. You would want to at least see RPM and AF. Get these and you'll be good for everything.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=250&page=2
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=250&page=1

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

I just installed an Innovative Motorsports XD-16 along with a LC-1 Wideband Controller in my daughters boyfriends 2004 evil Mustang SVT Cobra (ya, I got suckered into working on a Ferd) and it is BADD ***! You can program several different functions into it, do data logging with some additional software, and expand it as far as you want to go. Although it's not necessary for a gen 1 or 2 Camaro, with the complexity of the 04 Cobra's computer engine management system after mods creating 640 Rear wheel HP, it's critical to log data to avoid meltdown and Innovative's products are impressive to say the least. Their support is A++++++, although we never needed any, and the forum is very informative in that very few problems exist with products or installation. The gauge has a billet black or polished ring with several different faces and even has a customizable one you design, and fits in any 2 1/8" standard gauge opening. I know nothing about the other one you mentioned, but I will buy Innovative products from now on, and planning to go with the full bore data logging soon. It has a heated o2 sensor that is a stock VW unit if replacement becomes needed, although the o2 sensor will fail sooner than usual if you use leaded gas. The readout on the gauge is lightning fast (and will blow your freeking mind). Please note that I will not recommend anything I haven't used or proven badd to the bone, and IMHO you would be foolish to buy any other brand. Do a little looking around to get the best price, but beware of sellers on ebay unless they are a registered seller with Innovative Motorsports, verified by the list on Innovative Motorsports web site, or they will not honor any warranty if needed. Good luck and have fun. Also it's a simple 2 wire hookup and I strongly suggest grounding the unit directly to the engine block to maintain accuracy. The instructions are easy to follow, but follow them to the letter! If you have any more questions, PM me and I will try to help you get the answers... Larry

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the suggestions, I am planning on using this for tuning.

but I can't really see any reason I would need to be able to record the data when I could just look at the gauge. (it looks like that is the main difference between the LM1 you recommend and the LC-1)
And I already have a tach so why would I need an RPM converter for the O2 sensor
Im just trying to tune my carbed street engine, I am not drag racing it, so I can look at the gauge.

Oh, and I am going to install a vacuum gauge at the same time, also for tuning
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

For "basic tuning" the LC-1, or an autometer wideband gauge will work fine. Both have a datalogger output, and a guage that mounts in the dash.

The LM-1 is a great tool, but it is a handheld device. If you're gonna tune a number of cars, this is the one to get.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
Dean

I've been looking at the AEM unit myself which is about ~$230. There is also the FAST unit that does data log for ~$300.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I may just keep with checking plugs etc. and seat o the pants feel.

Dean

'69 355-3.73 Moser-Truetrac-TKO-600-Hotchkis-DSE-QA1 coilovers-Baer brakes-17"Budnik's-Speedtech control arms
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 03:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Jim.
The LC-1 only is able to record AF and nothing else. For some tuning wouldn't it be good to know your RPM also?

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

mnm99, I can't see my self using any recorded info and I have tach so I do not think I need the LM-1. And I am only tuning this one car, so I would not need a portable one.
I am looking for your advice, so if there is a reason for the LM-1 or some other advantage please let me know

Sickt9- where have you seen the AEM wideband for $230?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 12:32 AM
Senior Tech
Guillaume

I have the LC1 for tuning my carb too, with the G3 gauge.
I can only recommend it. It was enough for what I wanted to do with: set up AFR at idle, cruise an WOT, with the transition between idle and main circuit.
If you once want to datalog, you can then buy the LMA3 which can record MAP, RPM... and connect it to the computer
Guillaume
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 05:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I spent all last summer driving around staring at my wideband, vacuum gauge, Fuel pressure gauge, and tach, Including a dozen runs down the strip.

It's certainly possible to datalog all this stuff with one's brain while still keeping the car between the lines, at least at 99 in the qtr...lol.

As Guilaume said, Innovate has an accessory to connect to the LC1 for more advanced datalogging. In my case, next year I'll be running a C950 efi, and I'll be able to datalog off of that.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post

Sickt9- where have you seen the AEM wideband for $230?
Here it is, free shipping too
http://siliconestop.com/index.php?ma...products_id=83

Dean

'69 355-3.73 Moser-Truetrac-TKO-600-Hotchkis-DSE-QA1 coilovers-Baer brakes-17"Budnik's-Speedtech control arms
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the link
That is a great price, but now the problem is that I was leaning toward the Innovative LC1 and G3 gauge, but the best price I have found is $289+shipping
So, now i need to decide if I like the LC-1 enough to spend an extra $70

Any one know of a better price on the Innovative Tech LC-1 and G3 gauge?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 10:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Send a PM to Paulm. Last spring he offered me an LC1 he had and didn't need. I don't know if he still has it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode