L-35 325hp/396 engine-head question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

L-35 325hp/396 engine-head question

I had a complete L-35 BBC to start with. I wound up putting the 702 heads on my 460 BBC to bump the compression up. I later realized that I probably should have re-used the 781's that were on it because they have the biggest runners in the factory oval head class. Too late now. The question is that I'm going to put the L-35 back together and probably put it in a 70 Camaro with a TH400. I'm wondering how those heads (the 781's) will work on a smaller 396 bbc. This will have the factory cast dome pistons. Will it work just fine? Is this the best factory oval head for a 396??....or would the 702's work better for some reason. Lastly, What would the compression be with the 781's (118cc) and the factory 396 dome pistons? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 04:40 AM

Re: L-35 325hp/396 engine-head question

As always, it depends.

Stock 325hp/396 was 10.25 to 1 CR.

You start changing heads and you really need to cc them to know what they measure so your calculations come out right.

What head is a -702?? Early closed, semi-closed, open or completely open chambered?

And you have to watch piston dome fitment here when changing heads from closed to open and visa versa too.

pdq67

PS., are the -702's the small peanut port heads??

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The 702 is the oval 65-66 98cc closed 396/427 head. I know I'll drop compression, but coming from 10.25 might not be that bad for the street if it will help the motor breathe? It's not out of the question to get some different pistons to get an ideal CR. I just thought I'd try to build a budget motor.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 12:53 PM

Smile Re: L-35 325hp/396 engine-head question

Try here and run the numbers..

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/R...alculators.htm

I use a piston DITH of about a stock, .025" and also .020" thick steel shims like stock was back then.

Not knowing the cc of your new heads calculate using 113 cc's and then 118 cc's to see how much of a CR range drop you may create.

Again, "you really need to cc them to know what they measure so your calculations come out right." I say this b/c open chambered heads can and do vary all the way from 113 to above 120 cc's!!!

pdq67

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Try here and run the numbers..

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/R...alculators.htm

I use a piston DITH of about a stock, .025" and also .020" thick steel shims like stock was back then.

Not knowing the cc of your new heads calculate using 113 cc's and then 118 cc's to see how much of a CR range drop you may create.

Again, "you really need to cc them to know what they measure so your calculations come out right." I say this b/c open chambered heads can and do vary all the way from 113 to above 120 cc's!!!

pdq67

I think I need to go back and redo this......it said my CR is about 7.7 LOL

Time for a blower!!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 03:28 PM

No, it probably is b/c most stock 454 P/U engines w/ flat-top pistons and -781's are only like 7.9 to about 8 to 1 CR.

I can see 396 closed chamber low dome pistons w/ -781's being way low, CR-wise, imho.

Maybe not that low, but still darn low....

pdq67

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
No, it probably is b/c most stock 454 P/U engines w/ flat-top pistons and -781's are only like 7.9 to about 8 to 1 CR.

I can see 396 closed chamber low dome pistons w/ -781's being way low, CR-wise, imho.

Maybe not that low, but still darn low....

pdq67
That makes sense and that's why I put on the 702's instead....wanted to get 9-ish.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 07:12 PM

You might check K-B's piston pic's and CR tables to see how far off you are w/ the cc heads you want to use just for the check is all.

I think they list by head cc to get CR.......

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode