HEI too big - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

HEI too big

I had a problem with the HEI I put in my 67. It is jammed up aganist the firewall, and I can bearly turn it to time it. When I pulled the engine out, I thought about beating on the firewall to create a little more room, but it seemed pretty stiff, plus I would really rather get something that fits better, since I am rebuilding a hi performance 383. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech

Re: HEI too big

www.davessmallbodyheis.com

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:14 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Thats a common problem and yes a small cap/body HEI will work fine.

The problem is with the motor mounts and their position.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darcy

I had the same problem on my 400 SB. I didn’t want to beat the firewall in, so I went with a MSD distributer and a 6AL box, it works GREAT.

68 Convertible
400SB Moser 3.73
TKO 600
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:48 AM

I had the same problem and I swithched to an MSD, the HEI just would not fit.!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyW View Post
I had the same problem on my 400 SB. I didnít want to beat the firewall in, so I went with a MSD distributer and a 6AL box, it works GREAT.
MSD pro bullet dist,6al box and matching blaster coil ,Happy motoring,you'll love it the stuff

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

I believe that MSD has a small cap RTR dist. that does not need the box. I wish I had done better research before I installed my large cap MSD dist. All I would have had to do was as Doug stated about the motor mounts. There are certain ones that set the block farther forward that would allow room for the large HEI.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Thats a common problem and yes a small cap/body HEI will work fine.
The problem is with the motor mounts and their position.
I run a std GM hei..no dents in the firewall
Yes I beoieve the incorrect engine mounts could be an issue..
The left and right mounts are different, get them arond the wrong way and u can have hei clearance problems and header/power sterring box problems
Also tere are a heap of diff mounts for diff models of Chev....make sure u have the right ones

The plactic cap that clips over the top of the boots has to tne shaved at the back
The rear boots JUST touch the firewall but not enough to cause any issues as the engine moves
If there are any issues with bad ht leads from the rear of the dizzy, or plugs way to wide, the spark can blow holes in the side of the boots to the firewall ...also use new boots
with nearly 200,000 miles with the hei and 21 yrs the latter issue has happened once due to wear and break down of 1 boot

To install it must be set in the std Chev factory postion to fit...vac advance piont 45* forward to the passenger side and #1 is at the front.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 05:06 PM
____

Garage

400 smallblock and HEI has almost ¼" clearance.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

bad subframe bushings will generally move the distributor closer to the firewall

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
400 smallblock and HEI has almost ľ" clearance.

What in the heck kind of hood springs are those?? They look like they're off my back screen door!!!!

Is that a glass hood?

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 02:49 PM
____

Garage

Yes, light weight springs and glass hood.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
I run a std GM hei..no dents in the firewall
Yes I beoieve the incorrect engine mounts could be an issue..
The left and right mounts are different, get them arond the wrong way and u can have hei clearance problems and header/power sterring box problems
Also tere are a heap of diff mounts for diff models of Chev....make sure u have the right ones...
Any insight as to which mounts, part numbers??, would give someone some additional clearance?

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech

If you search "HEI fit" here, and then wade through all the threads that come up, it has been discussed many times. Generally, I recall it being the lower-performance frame stands and mounts (base V8).

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I have the orginal mounts knacked but stored away...
Being in NZ and a lot of Aussie stuff intechangable etc, I just took my orginal ex factory mounts down to the GM aussie/USA spare shop and matched them up
I cant look at the orginals to give u the part numbers...most of my parts are stored in my workshop in another city 100 miles away now.
It was nearly 20yrs ago I replaced the orginal, then replaced again about 18 months ago. the new replacements didnt have left/right marked, took a gess , got it wrong ...noticed as dropping the engine in, I have cast rams horns and they where not going to clear the steering box.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode