Need help please, to get my engine running - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Need help please, to get my engine running

I know the title is dumb but I can fix most anything on older cars but I can't diagnose things. So, I just replaced the intake manifold and carb and can't get the engine to run. It has msd distributor and I'm getting spark and gas. I did preliminary timing by turning on the key, putting on the timing light, and turning the dizzy to see where is sparks #1 cylinder. But when I try to start the car is backfires either thru the carb or exhaust. I then move the dizzy maybe 5 degrees and try again. I've moved that dang thing up to 1/4 turn both directions until I literally run the battery down to where it won't crank anymore. I'm out in the country so don't have any help, just by myself. Could anybody give me some direction on how to get the timing close enough to at least start and run, then I can make refinements. I know this is very basic and I feel dumb but don't want to damage anything by continuing to have the engine backfire. Thanks.... And Happy Sunday..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: Need help please, to get my engine running

Charge your battery. While it's charging click the link in my signature for how to install a distributor. It's a 2 part video, click "back" after the first 4 minute one plays.

When you drop the dist have your balancer on about 10-12°

Tim Smith
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Re: Need help please, to get my engine running - Thanks Tim

Thanks Tim. What I've done is pull all plugs, manually turn engine overto find TDC #1. Note position of rotor pointing to #1 plug wire. Make sure firing order is right. Try to start, sputter, backfire, etc. Advance maybe 5 degrees, try again, sputter, backfire, etc. Basically, it won't start and run so I can get out and begin slightly turning the dizzy to smoothen things out. Engine ran perfect before new manifold and carb. This just has to be something I'm not doing or I'm doing wrong. Thanks again Tim....

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

I forgot to say thanks much for steering me to your videos. Oh, and I'd started with balancer at about 8 degrees. I'm going to pull all the plugs again, get TDC, place dizzy again, and double check firing order. I've got to have something off. Thanks again Tim, your help is very much appreciated....
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Are you sure your on compression stroke. Pull #1 plug and have someone bump engine while you have you finger or thumb over plug hole. Wait till you feel you finger getting pressure on it (trying to blow it off). Then manually move balancer to TDC or 10-12deg BTDC. See where your rotor is. If thats all good, double check your plug wires to make sure you have them attched in the right order. I know this sounds basic, but I just made the same mistake the other day.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Charge your battery. While it's charging click the link in my signature for how to install a distributor. It's a 2 part video, click "back" after the first 4 minute one plays.
Tim....pleaase tell him that it's okay to use both hands!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

I'm going back out shortly, will do everything suggested, insuring compression stroke, manually set balancer to about 12 degrees BTDC, correctly align dizzy, check all plug wires going to right plugs, will post results. Damn, this has got to work, simple stuff. Thanks guys.....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

I bet your 180* and 6 is firing when 1 should be.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:55 AM

I have got about a half dozen engines running because of this same problem, the distibutor is in wrong!!!!! You can try the finger over the hole trick but sometimes it can be hard to tell. I think the best way to fird TDC is to remove the drivers valve cover and watch the intake valve on the #1 cylinder. Watch it open and then close, once it closes, the next time the timing mark comes around then line it up with 0 and you are at TDC. Then mark the #1 post position on the distributor body and put it in until the mark lines up with the tip of the rotor. Then I alway just slightly turn the distributor housing the opposite direction of rotot rotation to advance it a little. Fire it up and set the timing!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 10:01 AM

I watched the video of the guy putting in the distributor and it is not good. I would be nide if he talked!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Nede Help Please, Get Engine Running, Another Question

One more thing. Should I unplug the vaccuum advance to the dizzy or doesn't that make enought difference to matter? If so, do I plug it? My biggest problem has been that I can't get the engine to run well enough so I can get out of the car and under the hood to move the dizzy to where the engine runs well. Being by yourself makes things a bit more difficult but I can do this (I think). Thanks everybody...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Nede Help Please, Get Engine Running, Another Question

Two choices=get a helper or crank the idle speed screw in. Personally I prefer the helper route so I can watch things just in case...You can plug the vacuum in since right now your main concern is the break-in.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech

Make sure you have the vacuum advance canister positioned so you have adjustment room before it hits the valve cover or intake manifold. This theory caused a big argument awhile back but I know it can happen because I have done it.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Thanks guys. I've got an hour or so's worth stuff to try. Bet this sucker starts when I make sure I've got everything right.....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Re: Nede Help Please, Get Engine Running, Another Question

Thanks deerhunter. I'll crank the idle screw in a turn or maybe turn and a half. I never thought bout that but seems obvious that it would keep the engine running (idling) better cause at higher rpm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode