Problem Diagnose - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Problem Diagnose

I was driving my 81 RS with a sb 400 to work and it started making a sorta knocking, clunking sound internally and before i got there it shut off and wouldnt start, so i got it towed home and opened it up to take a look. some friends said it might be no oil so i put oil in and it held 3 quarts so it was obviously low but it didnt seize up cause it would turn over. i took off the valve covers to check and see if anything was broken and everything seems intact minus a few slightly loose rockers. does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I know its coming from the passenger side but not whether its top or bottom

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Problem Diagnose

Adding 3 qts means the level was too low. Thre quarts to the FULL mark means 3 qts leaked/burned out, one qt in the filter, the last qt distributed about the engine.

The clunking you heard, if a heavy sound as a sledge hammer hitting an anvil, would probably mean a rod is knocking due to lack of oil; if a light sound as in a tack hammer hitting the same anvil, empty hydraulic lifters, lots of valve adjustment, no oil inside the lifter. Some lifters may be permanently stuck.

To get the engine restarted, pull all the spark plugs, hold the throttle open, disable the ignition, and crank the engine over to allow the oil pump to pump up to the rocker arms, all of them. Once there is a good stream coming out, recharge the battery, install the plugs, enable the ignition, and attempt to start. You might need to spray alittle starting fluid into the intake to assist, alittle spray for about a second, no longer.

If a heavy knock is coming from the crankcase (oil pan), then you might consider a rod knocking. Time for a rebuild or exchange for a good used engine.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Sounds like a spun bearing. How did you let it get 3 quarts low

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 07:32 PM
Banned
Ron

Running an engine 3 quarts low on oil is never a good thing!.....Your engine will tell you how she feels by knocking and ticking and eventually seizing up altogether!.....Just look at it this way, how do you think your body would feel if it was 3 quarts low on blood?.....You would probably be so dizzy and weak that you'll die pretty quickly if you don't receive a fresh supply of blood.....Only, with an engine, the damage is already done and will never recover without a complete rebuilding!.....Sorry for your lose man!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

It would probly have helped if i had a working oil pressure gauge which i apparently dont (thanks to the guy i bought it from who said all gauges work). I took off the manifold and valve covers and the front rods on both sides of the motor have no bearings at the bottom and are loose to the point where i can take them completely out, and the rocker just spins. Also some of the other bearings are half way out to. What does that mean? I realize its bad and alot of work is about to need doing so just start listing.

thanks
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

You won't be able to see the rod bearings looking under the manifold. Are you talking about lifters and pushrods? There are no bearings there...just lifters and they will come out. They go up and down as the camshaft turns. Hopefully I'm not pointing out the obvious but it sounds like there may be some confusing going on here.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

uh, well it looks like bearings in the hole where the rods go down into the motor. And is it suppoed to come all the way out of the motor completely cause all the others are tight because they are hitting the rocker but these two rockers are loose and the rods just come out.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

ok i just did some research and i think this is what i meant to say...The front two pushrods are loose because the first two lifters are all the way down farther than they should be im assuming because i they arent supposed to let the pushrod fall out of the heads which these are. why is the lifter going down so far and not holding up the rods?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodle81RS View Post
ok i just did some research and i think this is what i meant to say...The front two pushrods are loose because the first two lifters are all the way down farther than they should be im assuming because i they arent supposed to let the pushrod fall out of the heads which these are. why is the lifter going down so far and not holding up the rods?
Without oil pressure..the hydraulic lifter will bleed off and increase lash.The lifter itself is following the cam lobe..but the internal components are collapsing within..increasing clearances...hence you loose pushrods.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

scratch that...i found the lifters...they are down in with the camshaft. how they got there idk, but that means the cam was hitting them, and now i know for a fact i need new lifters and possibly a new cam...anything else that could have gone wrong from all this? please let me know what you think. Im not the most knowledgable 17 year old when it comes to motors..that was my first tear down of one so all this is brand new to me. Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Last edited by poodle81RS; Jan 15th, 08 at 07:07 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 07:53 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
scratch that...i found the lifters...they are down in with the camshaft. how they got there idk, but that means the cam was hitting them

I don't know if you're aware but the lifters are supposed to be down there as they ride on the camshaft lobes.....You may have lucked out and just collapsed a few lifters due to low oil level.....Is the engine smoking oil?.....Do you hear a constant knock or thud coming from the lower end of the engine?....If so, time to tear down, if not, just try replacing the lifters.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech

We're gettin there...yes the lifter rides on the cam so that's normal. You can pull the lifter out of the bore and look at the face of it. It should be shiny and smooth and probably will have a little wear pattern on it where it rides on the cam lobe. The cam lobe down in the hole also should be shiny and smooth. If the lifter is dished out or scored up it's no good. Hopefully the cam is fine.

Don't mix up the lifters - keep them in their respective bores.

Hang in there.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

i know the lifter is supposed to be down when the lobe is down...but it fell all the way through and was down with the cam shaft getting ground up..so i pulled all the lifters and pushrods and tomorrow im gunna pull the cam to see whats the deal with it, hopefully its not broken. thanks again for the help guys, im gettin there
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 08, 11:34 AM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
i know the lifter is supposed to be down when the lobe is down...but it fell all the way through and was down with the cam shaft getting ground up.

You mean ground up like ground beef! hehehe .....No, but seriously, it appears you have wiped out (worn) lobes on the camshaft!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 08, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
You mean ground up like ground beef! hehehe .....No, but seriously, it appears you have wiped out (worn) lobes on the camshaft!
If this happened, a full rebuild is necessary! The metal flowing around probably has ruined your bearings. If the lifter fell down and broke, the cam could have possibly pushed it back up under the lifter bore crooked and damaged the block.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode