WTH is up with this? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Red face WTH is up with this?

I set the lash on my valves by spinning them one-by-one until there is a little resistance then 1/4 turn more. I drive the car around the block and I see(smoke so I pull over) -see oil coming out if the valve breather on the valve cover. WTH? So I get the valve cover off and notice the #7 cyl intake is squirting oil up the pushrod and all over the engine bay! Looks like someone cut a vein in my arm the way the oil is comin out of there!
What gives? Why is only one doing it and not the others? Please dont tell me its a collapsed lifter. It doesnt do it till the motor warms up a bit.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: WTH is up with this?

Same valve covers and breather as before the cam swap? Lose the baffle maybe?

No, a collapsed lifter won't cause more oil to get to the top than normal. The oil to the pushrod is metered by a wafer plate atop the internal piston in the lifter. It lives immediately below the hardened pushrod receptacle. Unless it chewed up the wafer plate.

Tim Smith
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Tim, why is it shootin up so much oil? Is this a collapsed lifter? It never stumbled before, but now its stumbles at a blip of the throttle, and if I 'blip' it or punch it, it will fall on its face BAD and backfire thru the carb. Thread for another time if I cant get it.

This oil thing has me baffled. I cant drive it cause its shooting oil so hard that it gets into the breather filter.
All parts are the same except used cam, and new lifters for the used cam. Same valve covers, breather everything.

November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

I can't imagine how your adjustment procedure would affect oil flow. Beware of the spinning pushrod technique...it can lead to setting the lifter too tight. It'll take a lot of pressure to stop the lifter from spinning. Better to use the jiggle method to find the point of zero slack when setting the rockers on hydraulic lifers.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

were the lifters pumped up with oil before you did the adjustment? If so it might have to bleed down some. You can get the adjustment right because the lifter is or was supposed to be on the lowest point of the cams base circle. it would not matter if it were full of oil at this point or not. You then go a 1/4 turn down, all this is going to do is push the valve that much farther down because the lifter is full of oil and the lifters bleed hole is covered up. You start the car and it has oil pressure and it's trying to fill the lifter with oil when it's actually all ready full and trying to bleed off, hence the extra oil coming through the push rod.....path of least resistance.

Roll it over until the lifter is on the top of lobe and the bleed hole in the lifter and oil gallery are aligned, let it sit and bleed down. If you have a high volume or high pressure pump it could make the bleeding down of the lifter difficult while running.

Also #7 is at the point of the most head pressure in the gallery.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

So why arent the rest of them doin it?

Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Might have bleed down enough while doing the others? Not saying this is your problem but it's easy enough to to roll it around and let it bleed down if it needs to. Also was #7 the last one you did, then #2 comes up on firing, while #7 is coming around for the exhaust (intake closed and dwelling) to open, you then put togehter, fired up and drove. I figure you did the valves one of two ways, rolled through the firing order and that put #7 second to last in sinario above or TDC#1 do eight valves then roll over to TDC#6 and do the remaining eight.

All just a thought and a hopfull easy solution to the problem. It would also explain the new stumble and back fire coming through the carb.........it would also indicate to me that the intake valve as you stated is hung open at RPM. That lifter is acting a solid lifter. One way is to back off until the rocker claters, then slowy tighten until it goes away.....then slowly go a 1/4 turn down.

I could only hope the above is your problem because that is the easy free fix!!

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line

Last edited by Joe Harrison; Jan 14th, 08 at 09:29 PM. Reason: "T" six to eight....sorry
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

I went back out, swapped two rockers thinkin maybe the hole was to big. NO JOY. So I loosened til it clattered then tighten til it quit and then a little more.

I spun the valve cover around to keep it from shooting up thru it and running out of it down the side and onto the exhaust so I wouldnt loose more oil and it would quit smoking.
I guess the new cam was a bad idea.
I always have to mess with my toys and end up screwing something up. Chalk up to learning I guess. (shrug) I just hope its ok. I will drive it around til something happens. I advanced the timing and with no motor load it revs fine but under load it still stumbles a bit.

Thanks Chief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode