High Oil Pressure - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

High Oil Pressure

I've been noticing that my oil pressure in my new engine is high. I know high is better than low however I don't want to blow my oil filter off. I have a stock volume Meling replacement pump w/ 10W30 VR1. The engine starts off with around 50-50psi at idle but when I rev the engine (3-4K rpm) it will go up to 80 psi. I don't mind the 50 psi but the 80psi worries me because I still have yet to take my engine up to the redline (6k rpm). I have changed the oil two or three times since I broke in the engine ( stubborn oil leak). The main bearing tolerances were on the looser side and the rod bearing tolerances were on the average to tight side when I assembled the motor. Should I just find a good strong oil filter and not worry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 07:10 PM
Bill

Re: High Oil Pressure

Rusty,
What is the pressure once the engine is at operating temperature ? Also, are you sure that your gauge is correct ? 80lbs really should not be a problem either way.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Have you put another gauge?

Tim Smith

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

The oil pressure drops down to 45 psi after it gets up to operating temp but it still pushes well above 60 psi around 2500 rpm. I have yet to push the rpms too high. The gauge is a brand new mechanical gauge. I'm running an AC Delco filter. Are there any stronger filters out there?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I agree with both suggestions given. Get oil to operating temperature, 12-15 miles of driving. Oil pressure should be around 50-60 PSI at 2500 rpm.

If not, then try/borrow another gauge, or two. Best 2 out of three gauges.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 09:11 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

80psi is a little high on a hot engine, not unusual on a cold one though. With your pressure readings at operating temp I'd say your right where you need to be.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech

I don't have an explanation, other than to tell you I am in the same boat. When cold my 68 oil gauge is pegged (past 80). At warm up, it drops to 70ish and will be pegged again at cruising speed. I bought it this way, so I don't know any different.

Greg

1968 Camaro stock interior /exterior
350/TH350
Near Stockton Ca
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Exactly what clearances are you running on your motor (mains and rods)?
What is the compression ratio on the motor?
How hard is it to turn over the motor by hand?
What is the coolant temp? Any overheating problems?

It must be pretty tight if you are running 10w30 oil and getting those oil pressures. I would definitely try another gauge as other suggested to be sure you are getting a correct reading.

I am not sure about the Meling pump but some pumps come with multiple springs (one high volume another normal etc), you might look to see if there is a different spring you can run.

I know when I was breaking in my close tolerance motor it was running high coolant temp and oil pressure for awhile until it calmed down after about an hour of break in.

Ed

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

I don't recall the exact tolerances, but if I remember correctly I had around .0035-.0040 on the mains and somewhere around .0025 on the rods. The SCR is around 10.4-10.6:1. The engine is pretty easy to turn over with a rachet. It was tough at first but that was probably just because the engine wasn't broke in. I did notice yesterday that the shop had too much oil in the pan (maybe half a quart). I drove the car to work today and it dropped down to around 45 psi when I was off the gas going down a hill after the engine had ran some. It was around 60 psi @ 2300 rpm. It is definitely not over heating because I couldn't get the engine past 150 degrees this morning (low 30's) and no fan on. I couldn't get on the gas because the engine ran like pure crap (sputtering and popping). It ran a little better after it got to 150 deg but still not like it did yesterday afternoon. I guess this engine doesn't like to run in cold weather. I'll check to see what it gets up to this afternoon when I drive it around some more.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good pressure. Have the choke adjusted.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Good pressure. Have the choke adjusted.
I'll start with hooking the choke up, its a manual choke but I never got around to installing the cable. I got back from lunch and it still has a small miss so I'll have to trouble shoot it when I get home.

Thanks
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 12:15 PM
Banned
Ron

The oil pressures that your new engine is producing are totally normal!....I have a fresh 327 rebuild which pushes around 80 psi when cold, but when it reaches normal, hot operating temperatures, it drops to around 60-65 psi.....Your oil pressure gauge is not faulty either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode