Squirt me before you crank me..... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Squirt me before you crank me.....

as with the majority of re-build projects we are running behind schedule and, religiously, every several weeks we turn the crank of the reman'd 327. today, for the third time, someone has strongly suggested that when we remove the plugs, squirt stp in before cranking for better engine protection. i do trust a couple of these guys but i have not heaerd of this before. so, i turn to those who know our vehicles best; your thoughts, and comments, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: Squirt me before you crank me.....

It won't hurt. I see you in AZ and the air is very dry most of the year, but it doesn't take much for a little condensation to ruin a machined surface. (especially when it's sitting for a while)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 09:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I wouldn't use stp tho, some marvel mystery oil maybe?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

even with ol' andy g. behind the product, never really believed in it.

now marvel m, that is a thought....even with the drier climate it couldn't hurt.

thanks guys!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The STP may be a good suggestion. The specific gravity of STP is waaay high, meaning the effects of gravity upon STP will have a lesser effect than a thinner liquid.

STP clings, oil flows. I don't care for the product either, but when the crankcase develops a knock and the billfold is thin, the product does work. JM thoughts.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

thanks everett and good luck this weekend with the "pack"!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 07:26 PM

Jim's right, my 496 has good old MMO on top of all the pistons now!

pdq67

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
John

I would not use STP. That stuff may leave behind all kinds of cc deposits. Use MMO as others have suggested.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

stp may also hinder the break in process aka ring seating on start up. i wold reccomend mmo for that type of protection

1967 RS convert 88,000 original miles numbers matching 327 powerglide
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 11:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I use the fogging oil found at Napa
its the preffered stuff to use

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

well guys, thanks for your input. unfortunately i let my buddy talk me into the stp. he swears by it and he has re-built several engines using this method. i did restrict the amount he used and we'll see what happens(he wanted 3-4 "squirts" from the oil can, i gave him 1+ a little). i definitely will research the fogging oil for future engines.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech

I am betting that thing will smoke big time when you do start it! I would never have used STP!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

I use ATF on rings and skirts when assembling to ensure rings can "seat"...never have lubed after initial asembly. I use fogging oil on stored motors...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

i am not too worried about seating of the rings, all precautions were taken during re-build.
i guarantee it will smoke like crazy when started.
just an fyi, the gm master techs i've spoken with recommend either fogging oil or wd-40 and they do support the earlier comments about stp defying gravity and clinging longer. they also agree that due to the limited amount applied we should be okay.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 03:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

This thread reminds me of the 60's. We couldn't drive across town without seeing blue smoke pouring out of a garage or service station at least once. The myth then was that STP was some kind of magic goo, to be poured right into the carb throat while the engine was reved-up. Crazy! It's nothing more than a viscosity index improver. (It makes your engines' oil thicker. You know, 30wt into 40wt. That sorta thing)

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode