Running on an Engine Stand - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jon

Running on an Engine Stand

Never ran an engine on a stand, so have a couple of questions. Is it necessary to have anything connected to the back of the crankshaft? Can you run for a short time without any radiator & coolant hooked up, and if so, how long? Thinking about buying one of those cheap Jegs engine stands and giving it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

Re: Running on an Engine Stand

This was posted back on the 12th.. I was wondering as well but doing so on a subframe.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124422

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I ran my old 350 for about 20 seconds at a time with no belts or cooling system. Just long enough to show that it starts, runs, and idles when I was trying to sell it. I bolted it to to a wood frame and rigged up wiring for the ignition and starter, and rigged up some mufflers to keep the neighbors from calling the cops.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 12:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

I used to work for a large engine remanufacturer and part of my job was running engines on a test stand. You will need at least a flywheel on the crank, at least that's probably how you are going to turn it over to start it. We used a generic flywheel connected to an electric motor and clutch, but a backyard dyno could use the standard flywheel, bellhousing, and starter. Now for the coolant side, I would rig up a radiator, along with your water pump, and hoses already mounted on the engine. One of the reasons for temporarily running is to check for leaks, which you can't do without coolant. Plus with the coolant, you can do other things, like break-in, setting timing, carb adjustments, etc, that you can't do while only running for brief time.
Now for running without coolant, I've got some stories for that. Like the other guys said, 20 sec is no problem... I've gone about 90 seconds on some tractor engines that would require a lot to button up, and I just wanted to check things out. At the remanufacturer I worked for, I had seen engines run as much as 15 minutes without coolant, and when torn down, we didn't see any damage. Granted this was at only 1100 rpm for that 15 minutes, but it does show that they can take some heat. THIS ISN'T RECOMMENDED THOUGH.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I've run bunches for a minute or so. I wouldn't go much longer though.

Did a little 305 once that I didn't really care about, and ran it about 3-4 minutes even revved it some. When I shut it off I could hear pieces complaining. It lived though.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode