Need Head advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Need Head advice

I currently have 1955-62 1.72/1.50 60cc chamber (265 and 283) heads on my 327 and have been looking for something to replace with. I just came across the following, can I get some opinions on how these would work for me?(Stock 327, performer manifold,edel 4bl, headers)

Chevy Casting #3782461 Camel Back Heads 2.02 Intake 1.60 Exhaust

I read these could be either 1.94 or 2.02..How can I tell? He claims they are 2.02's.....

Will these bolt right up and wake up my little small block?

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Need Head advice

These are decent heads but no accessory holes I believe. By the time you do all necessary work on them , you spent the price of better aftermarket heads like Dart or alloy heads. Need to determine what your long term goal is on this motor as you can move your heads to any future motor. What do you plan on doing with this motor/car?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

The car is just a driver. I plan on keeping into summer and then selling and moving up.

What exactly are the accessory holes for? The heads are off of a running engine... What would I need to do to them before I used them?

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

Now....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

Jim,

These heads are used in engines pryor to 69 After 68 they had mounting holes drilled for the alt bracket and other assy.

I have a pair of 462's on my 67 350 and you can see them in my signature pics.

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

The heads I have now dont have the acc holes either so I dont think this is an issue.

What would I need to do to check that these are 2.02's ?

They are off a running engine, can I just pull them and reinstall?

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

Now....

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I would measure valve head id to verify that, might even check valve seals while you are at it. . Thats if they are off motor. Then , put'um on.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

A set of out of the box vortec heads would make more power IMHO. How much are you looking to invest in the heads you are now looking at? New vortecs can be had for around the $500 range. You would have to invest another $250 or so for the different intake and a set of valve covers, but it would be worth it. The smaller 1.94/1.50 valves and heart shaped combustion chambers would work well with the 327, keeping the air velocity up for more low-mid range torque.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

I can get the heads complete for 200 and they should bolt up to everything I already have.
The engine is on a stand, i heard it run and now he has the intake & exhaust off...

What should I look for to make sure there arent any issues?

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

Now....

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If they are in a runner...let the vechile stand for an hr or so the fire up..watch for a puff of smoke at fire up..sure sign of worn valve guides
take note what the upside of the plugs are..mark with a felt tip pen...Pull the plugs
Dirty side at the top indicates valve gguides, dirty side down rings.
Run a hydrocarbon test on the radiator..check for cracks/head gasket issues.
Check plug threads are in good condition
Check sideways wear on the push rods and head push rod holes...these holes are also the guides, if worn u will have to use after market push rod guides or late model 1:5 rockers that have little bumps the valve stem fits between (cant rem the right name of these rockers)

Short of pulling the heads measuring valves and crack testing the above is basically it

Before installing pay to have the heads surface scrimmed to make sure they are flat

No monting holes is not an issue for the bottom alternater...out of a scrape piece of 3mm plate shape a lower bracket to fit the 2 lower left water pump bolts, and the bottom alternator bolt goes thru this bracket...solid and doesnt move.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouthco68camaro View Post
I can get the heads complete for 200 and they should bolt up to everything I already have.
The engine is on a stand, i heard it run and now he has the intake & exhaust off...

What should I look for to make sure there arent any issues?
I would give the valve faces a good visual, look for a valve more recessed into the head than others. Look for combustion trails and heat trails. Don't expect them to look perfect, but when you see something let out a deep ugh and don't say anything else. Wiggle the valve stems and peer at the seals. Lay the head on it's side and take diesel or water and fill the intake ports while watching for leakage at the valve face. A few drops is normal, you're watchin for a stream but if you see a drop point at it and say ugh again. On the exhaust side you have to stuff a rag into the crossover if it has one going to the intake side. If you find one that leaks it may be from a piece of carbon on the seat or the valve/seat may need ground...either way it makes the head less than perfect and you can bargain for a better price. (When you get the head home, if you found a leaker repeat the procedure but take a hammer and tap the valve open a few times to rinse the seat off. If it still leaks tap the valve face dead center a few times and see if it stops.)Lay a straightedge across the gasket surface. If you know a machine shop that does a buncha head work ask them if they have a 1.94 and a 2.02 junk valve they can give you to take and put up against the intakes to verify what you have. If not a tape measure works but it's hard to get accurate. A pocket machinist measure works pretty good, and they are cheap.

If his engine sounded good and didn't smoke, and you don't find anything scary take them home for 150(cuz you need 50 for gaskets) and clean em up and put em on and go.

Good luck.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode