Stock Q-jet Question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Stock Q-jet Question

Could someone please explain to me how a totally stock 327/27hp Camaro is supposed to behave when first started cold? Is it supposed to idle “fast” for about 90 seconds (1200 rpm) & then (quickly?) or (slowly?) start dropping down to a normal idle of say around 800 or 900 rpm? Should I have to “bump” or “touch” the gas pedal for it to start slowing down the rpm’s; or should it just do this totally on its own if the quadrajet is set up properly? Why does the engine start slowing down from a fast idle when cold to slower idle? Is it because the (lockout lever) “walks down” the little steps on the fast idle cam? Or, is it because the fast idle cam is working in conjunction with the choke slowly opening?

I just rebuilt my quadrajet & I’m trying to “fine tune” the thing, now that it’s back on the car. The reason I have to ask the above questions is because the carb/engine has never run like new since I bought it. I’m not totally sure what normal stock behavior should be. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 06:15 PM
Team Member

Re: Stock Q-jet Question

It should start by:
First blip the throttle to set the choke ( cold engine)
start up on fast idle cam and choke should crack open from the choke pull off.
(Fast idle should be set to specifications for the car)
as the engine warms the choke will open slowly and the engine might slow down some.

When the choke is open enough, blipping the throttle will release the fast idle cam and idle should go down to normal. There is more info here:

All the QuadraJet Information I have found on the Internet

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode