Engine start up 6 months after dyno/build - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Laurence

Engine start up 6 months after dyno/build

I have a built big block finally ready to start up after 6 months since it was built and dyno'd (took a while to put it all together!).
How safe is it to just start it up (with dyno oil/ lube) or should I pull the plugs and crank it without spark to get the oil pressure up?
Any advice appreciated...

..."you can never go fast enough"..driver,Two Lane Blacktop.
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 02:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: Engine start up 6 months after dyno/build

6 months is nothing compared to three years fo me. You definatly need to orime the oil pump till you get good oil coming thru the lifters. I had no problems with mine which is a hydraulic roller I just primed it with a good 1/2 drill moter.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

If it's already been broken in on a dyno then you should be fine. Lots of engines sit that long without being fired up. Just start it. It should have oil pressure as soon as it fires.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Laurence

Thumbs up Re: Engine start up 6 months after dyno/build

Thanks for the replies...

My engine builder (in Colorado) suggested turning the whole engine around while it was on it's engine stand...but the shop doing the work for me had already dropped it in and hooked it up...so that was not an option.

I'm being cautious as this stands me in at a lot of $$$, and I'd rather be safe than sorry!...it's a flat tappet cam too (Isky 280-mega), so oil starvation right now could be a nasty surprise!

Don't really want to pull the distributor, so pulling the plugs and cranking without spark seems like some insurance (info I got from Beck Engines start up instructions)...

We'll be firing it up this week, so any other words of encouragement would be great!!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Laurence

duplicate post

Last edited by Lol_uk; Jan 20th, 08 at 12:57 PM. Reason: duplicate posting
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 04:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I would take time and pull the distributor and prime it first it only takes a second to pull it. Your right better to be safe than sorry.

PRO.ST69orange

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Well, there's nothing to doing a prelube unless you don't have a hootus for prelubing or don't know how to stab a distributor. If that's the case you are probly better off not pulling the distributor. Getting it back in wrong can cause an engine a fair bit of hell too. But we can walk you through it, or you can do a search and find about 64 million posts on how to put a distributor. If you decide that's the way you want to go.

Pulling the plugs and spinning awhile is better than nothing. It relieves most of the load on the rod bearings and pistons until oil gets moving(which happens pretty quick).

You sure your builder wasn't telling you to manually rotate the engine a few revolutions? That would be a good thing to do too.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode