Engine Question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Engine Question

I know this is going to be a dirty word, and I should not ask it here, but what do you guys think a numbers matching FORD 429 Super Cobra jet engine is worth?

1969 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 08:07 PM

Re: Engine Question

I don't know, but I kick myself daily for not buying a Grabber Orange 70 Cyclone Spoiler SCJ429 / 4 speed ..... 6 years ago for $6500. What was I thinking?

I'd say it's worth whatever he will take for it! Have fun with it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 09:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Not sure! What's the price of pig-iron?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech

Talking Re: Engine Question

If you are a true chevy guy it is only worth what ever you could resell it at. Just kidding, My ford friend says it is around $1000 if in good shape, Too bad it's not a 427 ci.

Last edited by Riley; Jan 22nd, 08 at 10:47 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 08, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcGc View Post
I know this is going to be a dirty word, and I should not ask it here, but what do you guys think a numbers matching FORD 429 Super Cobra jet engine is worth?
Check out the one on Ebay...$6900 all done up and ready to go.

cap68
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 08, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech

The Lima family of motors don't get a whole lot of respect, but the 429 SCJ is pretty equivalent (in the manufacturers product lineup) to an LS6 454 Chevelle engine. So, to somebody restoring a 70 or 71 FoMoCo product that was or could have been equipped with a 429 SCJ, the value is more like what an LS6 motor is worth to a guy restoring a 70 Chevelle SS.

It's always only worth what someone will pay, but some research on places like ebay completed listings or ads in Hemmings should give an idea what they go for.

It's not scrap, but it's probably not a $10K or $20K motor either.

Just don't come back and ask how to install it into a 1st gen Camaro... I had to endure a thread on hottrodders.com a few years back from a kid wondering if he could put a 426 Hemi elephant in his 69 Camaro that was otherwise all stock. Man that was an ugly thread...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 08, 11:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: Engine Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcGc View Post
... what do you guys think a numbers matching FORD 429 Super Cobra jet engine is worth?
Just what do the 'numbers match'
Is there a car included in this?

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
John

Thanks everyone for the info. I bought the motor a couple years ago from a guy who had it sitting on a engine stand. I paid $800.00 for it complete. I bought the motor to put in my jet boat. After I got the motor home and tore it apart to have it rebuilt I checked the numbers DOOE-R on every part. The block, heads, rods, ets has this number stamped on it.

I put the motor in my boat and have ran it only a couple of times, but I'm considering selling the boat to finish my 1969 Camaro project. I don't know if it would be better to sell the motor separate, or with the boat. That's why I asked what you guys thought the motor would be worth. When I get home from work I'll post some pics of the motor.

1969 Camaro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode