where to start? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Keith

where to start?

I starting my 67 project which I've been sitting on for quite a while. My father purchased this car new and handed it down to me at age 16 (what was he thinking?). I'm now 37. I'm more of a body man so I need some help with the engine. From the invesigation that I've done, I've got a stock LF7 which is a 327. It has a 4" bore and a 3.25" stroke. The compression ratio is 8.75:1. The stock cylinder heads have a 1.72" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves. It's rated at 210hp @4800rpm as it has a 2 barrell carb. I'd like to get up to, or over 400HP. What changes will get me there?

Thanks in advance, Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 03:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: where to start?

Stop. Don't touch that original engine. If you want more power, remove it as a unit and store it safely. In other words, in a clean dry location protected from grime with the moving parts protected too.
Build your toy-engine and enjoy. Your children will thank you.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech

yep thats a lot to ask out of a 327. If it were me and i wanted a street car with 400 horse small block I would go with a 383 or 400. Thats just me.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

There is no replacement for cubic inch displacement. Save/store the original engine and play with a rat motor. Worked for me.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 08:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Stop. Don't touch that original engine. If you want more power, remove it as a unit and store it safely. In other words, in a clean dry location protected from grime with the moving parts protected too.
Build your toy-engine and enjoy. Your children will thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincat View Post
yep thats a lot to ask out of a 327. If it were me and i wanted a street car with 400 horse small block I would go with a 383 or 400. Thats just me.
There are a lot of thoughts on this. Nope, no replacement for displacement.
Like my orignal numbers matching 383.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Keith

OK... Fred, that does concern me as well. However, this engine has had work done on it before. So, I'm not sure how "original" it is. My thought was if the block was original... then I'm still ahead of the game. This car is a plain coupe, so I have understood that since it does not wear an SS or RS badge that minor mods will not decrease the value but may increase the value. True or False?

JimM, I like haveing the original 327 block in the car as well. Not sure why, it's just a good feeling. If I change the crank to make it a 383 (I read somewhere that that is the differnce)... does that scew my numbers. I am very unfamiliar with the numbers matching game. I'll have to investigate before any tools are lifted of course.

Thanks guys, Keith
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech

Keith -

Your exact question gets asked a lot. Here's a recent thread, with some links in it to other threads:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...&highlight=327

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Keith

Thanks Eric, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Keith

67 Camaro - 327 - 4 on the floor with a 5th under the seat.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Keith

One more thing. I know the heads are original, how can I tell what kind or type? Is there a stamp somewhere? The info I found on the engine just told me the intake and exhaust valve sizes.

Keith

67 Camaro - 327 - 4 on the floor with a 5th under the seat.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Russell

Send a message via AIM to capt68 Send a message via Yahoo to capt68

Not knowing just how fast you want to go, the 327 you have can be made to perform very well. You may not make 400 hp but, you'll be close enough to have fun with the car. Look at the 302 in the First Gen cars. They were screamers from the word "GO." While they didn't have the torque of the big inch motors, they were more than "cool" when it came to hearing that little motor rev to the Redline.

The comments about big cubic inch motors are obiviously correct but, you'll have to do some things to the car to help control that power/torque (i.e. subframe connectors, some form of traction setup, etc.) The rearend you choose will also have to be well thought out. The GM 10 and 12 bolt can handle the power of the big blocks but are, on the low end of cost, better suited for the small block putting out a moderate amount of power. My dad had a '67 Coupe with a mild 454 ci in it. That car would haul 'em, when the pinion yoke didn't break.

400 hp with the 327 is stretching it, unless of course, you shoot the juice. Even then.... It all comes down to money. How much do you have? How much do you want to spend? How fast do you want to go? How often are you going to go fast?

I'm probably in the minority on this matter but, I believe building a car, any car, with the intent of staying original is good, if you have an exceptional base to start with. It sounds like you have that part covered. But, in reality, how many of us have the money it takes to restore one to showroom condition? I don't get the impression that you are trying to build a Barrett Jackson record breaker. The bottom line is, it's your car. Do with it as you please and have fun while doing it.

Russell
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 11:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I like an orignal car, too, to look at at shows and stuff like that. And I certainly know and respect that a great many people take a lot of pride in a good all original resoration.

And, it would be nice to see some pics and details on this particular car. I have a LOT of respect for a true survivor, even or maybe especially one that has been "modded" somewhat back in the day.

But a base 327-210 coupe isn't really anything special, it'll certainly never be a "stupid money" restoration.

There is a number cast into your heads, under the valve covers, between the valve springs. You can check that number on mortec.com to determine if they are the originalt type heads. If they are, then they are seriously limiting your performance. Small valves, small ports, big chambers and low compression.

The only differences between a 210 HP 327 and a 275 HP 327 was those heads and a 4bbl carb.

As far as numbers, just don't have the block decked (much) and they'll still be there. Mine are.

For some odd reason, I kinda like having the engine block Chevy built my car with purring under the hood. Somehow this remains true even though as of now, the block is the ONLY part of the original drivetrain left.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode