oil pan torque? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

oil pan torque?

Does anyone know the torque specs for an oil pan using felpro's one peice gasket?
It's the one with the metal inserts in the bolt holes.

I found 72 inch/lb for the 1/4" bolts, 144 for the 5/16"s, for a standard gasket... nothing for the one piece. It came with the pan, no packaging or instruction sheet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: oil pan torque?

The metal inserts are torque limiters, and the torque specs you gave are standard grade 5 dry torque values and good enough. It's a very forgiving gasket. Don't forget the dab o silicone at the corners.

Tim Smith
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 10:03 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

with those torque limiters in there I use my highly calibrated hand to torque to tite-a-nuf.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
with those torque limiters in there I use my highly calibrated hand to torque to tite-a-nuf.
Ha, personally I'm of German decent so the torque spec that I use is "Gud-N-Tite", LOL!

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Jim's trying to put a little extra pride in this build. I say go for it Jim, I've torqued pan bolts before.

Tim Smith
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech

Make sure you get it good and tight , i wouldn't want it to fall off when i take it for a blast in yellowstone .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark .L.W. View Post
Make sure you get it good and tight , i wouldn't want it to fall off when i take it for a blast in yellowstone .
Mark.
Cool, does that mean this time she'll be worthy of some "Mark abuse"?

I went with 140 on the corners, the rest at 60. Darned Ace didn't have any cute lil button head stainless bolts, so I got 3 pan bolts that don't match... I then left Ace without getting the fittings for the oil pressure senders, so now I gotta go back. Ain't gonna repeat my "shoot oil on the cieling" performance like the last build.

Snowblower just ran out of gas at "almost done." Time for some lunch, finish "blowing", run to Ace, and should be back at it in an hour or so.

I did slide the roller lifters into thier bores just for fun.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech

I will treat your car like i do mine , drive it like a stolen rental .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark .L.W. View Post
I will treat your car like i do mine , drive it like a stolen rental .
Mark.
Mark, still brings a smile to my face when I think about that 1st gear smoke job you did on that ricer in Billings last year.
john

sorry for the hijack of the thread - back to torque specs for Jim

1968 camaro
plain jane
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 04:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Jim, looks like motor is ready for dyno. Why do you have emblem cover on left side? Or am my eyes going on me too.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

My old manifold was rigged with an oil fill tube, so I bought 2 left side valve covers as I didn't need an oil fill and didn't trust it not to leak.

Dunno what I'm gonna do now... Probably fill it thru the llil hole with a tiny funnel and lots of time. I could open up the filler hole in one of the valve covers, it's cast in underneath, but I still don't trust em not to leak.

And ya, she is lookin pretty ain't she?

Family made me shut down the cam, suckin our bandwidth. More later maybe, need to put some stuff in front.

Came out with 7.25" pushrods.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Good deal, you been at it most all day. You are still ahead of the winter.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 10:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: oil pan torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
... Came out with 7.25" pushrods.
That sounds better than the 7.1" we talked about the other night
I've never had one come in much off from that with a roller and alum heads.

"And ya, she is lookin pretty ain't she?" Yes, she is

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
My old manifold was rigged with an oil fill tube, so I bought 2 left side valve covers as I didn't need an oil fill and didn't trust it not to leak.

Dunno what I'm gonna do now... Probably fill it thru the llil hole with a tiny funnel and lots of time........
My '67 is that way and it does take awhile to put the oil in. I got one of those funnels that has a tube and valve on the bottom of the container. Wedge the container in against something, fill it up and just crack the valve to let it fill.
Now the only other thing I've wondered about is that the engine might not be breathing well enough. Something to consider I guess.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Ain't gonna repeat my "shoot oil on the cieling" performance like the last build.
He, He, been there, done that Jim, LOL!!!

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode