anyone dyno their bbc?need cam help... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 08, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
russ

anyone dyno their bbc?need cam help...

im trying to find anyone whos dynoed their motor that is similar to mine so i can figure out where my duration needs to be.

GOAL:i want to make optimum power for maximum rpm of 7000.

CAM NEEDS TO BE 112 DEGREE LOBE SEP. ANGLE...VALVE LIFT WILL BE .740-.750"

compression is 10:1 and im running dart intake and dart 355 cnc heads,4.10 gear with 33 inch tires.car weighs 2950 with me in it.t-400 trans.9 inch converter.will have a small shot of nitrous in it ocasionally(no more than 275)

last year when i ran it at track with current cam(286/[email protected] .050 321/336 total)i ran 142 mph and with tight converter was shifting at 7000 rpm,the following gear fell down to about 4600-4700 rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 05:36 AM
Tech Team
mike

Re: anyone dyno their bbc?need cam help...

that is a nice engine . im no expert but i do think you need to cam the engine for the compression and rpm you plan to run. if you are going to spray all the time then you can get away with more duration to cover up the loss in torque it will have with having to much cam . but a 10 to 1 motor needs cam timing in the 260's @.050 or the mid range will suffer. if your old cam had that much duration @ .050 286/296 there is no doubt it will pick up et with less cam. on the motor at least. ill bet your cranking compression was way low with that old cam hurting power at all rpms JMO. ......mike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Man that car is light. Where'd you find that 400#?

I have a buddy w/ a 555 who's a nitrous junky, but his CR is higher than yours so not apple/apple on cam choice. He runs more LSA(116ish?) and something like 15 spread intake/exhaust duration. That's all usually tailored to head flow and shot I think.

Have you tried speedtalk.com?

Tim Smith

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:45 AM

My gut feeling is that even tho it will run, 10 to 1 CR. w/ a cam like you are talking about is way too low.

I will let the guys that run these big sticks chime in..

pdq67

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
russ

77 wolf,whadda saying about your first question on your post>"Man that car is light. Where'd you find that 400#?"

im looking for people that have either dynoed their bbc on pump gas or racers with real world experience to put input into this thread........

thx sofar...can i get a few others opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode