cam frustration - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

cam frustration

I`m looking for some suggestions on a cam for a big block I have a 402 big block in a 68 Camaro, I`m running oval port heads chamber 102.3 cc, 350 turbo trans, with a 2800 stall, 3.73 non posi rearend, big meats in the rear, I`ve went through two comp cams already XE274H-10 with 924-16 springs, I dont want another comp cam, I already read a lot of posts concerning these X series cams after the fact, about the lobes being to aggressive. I also later learned the the comp cam red watery lube is garbage and I used the wrong brand of Rotella oil and no EOS so the break in procedure probably did me in more than the cam selection itself. I tore the engine down after the first failure this time I`m going to prime the heck out of it with a fiter mag and some oil pan magnets and try it again, I know that risky but I think I can pull it off.
I have two questions if I went with a solid roller what would that involve and how much would that set me back, or what flat tappat cam should I go with. Thanks in advance for your help cyork68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:41 AM

Re: cam frustration

Solid and hy-lifter cams!!

Put moly lube like Isky's REV-LUBE on each lobe and lifter foot, then good oil in her AND a bottle of EOS.

Then make sure she starts quickly, no carb priming here sorta deal!!

Then after she light's off, bring her up to 25 to 3,000 rpm and blip her a lot of times so the crank journal's splash lube can get all over the cam!!

Run her for say 20 minutes and you should be good to go!!

I then commute in her for a couple of day's and check/retorque my heads, then change out the oil and filter and then install new along w/ a bottle of EOS!!

I also leave the rad. cap loose and keep a turned on water hose handy to flood the rad. if she start's getting hot before I can tune her proper!! Don't tune her while you are blipping her b/c there will be plenty of time for that later, just tweek enough to keep her running between 25 and 3,000 rpm!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode