changing springs with heads on??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

changing springs with heads on???

It seems like there was a way I read on here on how to change out valve springs with the heads on. It seems like it involves using a compressor to put air in the cylinders to hold the valves up.....but I can't be sure. Is there a way??? It would sure save some time and $$$. Thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: changing springs with heads on???

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd2078.html you need one of these and a fitting to put air in the plug hole to keep valves closed.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:34 AM

Or thread a long piece of blind pull cord in through the sparkplug hole w/ the piston down and then bring the piston up to TDC. Cord will squeeze up and hold the valves in place so they can't fall.

pdq67

PS., just tie a big nut to one end so you CAN'T lose it in the cylinder.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

long ago what I did was take the ceramic out of an old sparkplug and have an air fitting welded to it.
used compresser to pressurize the cylinder.
I seen another method same as above but having a tire valve installed on the plug and use a bicycle air pump.
but wait there still is another method!
get some clothesline and feed it into the cylinder via the sparkplug hole until you cant get anymore in there.
that will keep the valves from falling.
once done remove the rope.
(thats an old school trick)

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Basically all you do is hook the lower half of a compression tester tool to your air supply and this will charge the cylinder and hold the valves up in that cylinder while you remove the springs. Use the spring removal tool designed to grab the spring and compress it then you can remove the keepers, now the spring will come right off. You must keep the air pressure on the cylinder until the new spring is installed and the keepers are installed. Remove the spring compression tool from the spring. At this point I generally give the top of the valve a tap with a rubber hammer to make sure the keepers are seated and then you can release the air pressure. Repeat for the other valve in this cylinder. Then move on to the next cylinder and repeat the process.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Joe A

I am doing a spring change right now and I used the lower half of a compression tester just like scott mentioned but I also used clothes pins to hold the valves in place. I bought one of those nice spring removal tools from summit and I must say it has paid for itself already.

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Can the compressed air hurt anything??? I have a compression tester that has a bunch of fittings. I could sacrifice one of those.

Maybe even easier.....I could just do the cord/rope trick but just start the motor up and let the cylinders burn up the material and move it out the exhaust system!!!!!!!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs68camaro View Post
Can the compressed air hurt anything??? I have a compression tester that has a bunch of fittings. I could sacrifice one of those.

Maybe even easier.....I could just do the cord/rope trick but just start the motor up and let the cylinders burn up the material and move it out the exhaust system!!!!!!!
No the air charge holding the valves won't hurt anything, it's just like the piston coming up the cylinder wall on the compression stroke holding both valves closed.

Glacier Blue/Dover White 69 SB SS Restoclone.

99 Trans Am...my toy

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Actually....that makes sense. I'm guessing that my compressor can't come close to the presser created in the cylinders when it's running???

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 11:09 AM
Banned

We change a lot of valve springs during the racing season and on the dyno when breaking in solid lifter cams and so far we have not needed any air to hold the valves in place the valve seals seem to wrik fine after you break the retainers loose. and we go right through the firing order that way we can install the springs and lash the valves.

Using rope in the cylinder makes for a good chance of bending a valve and just when you think you have heard it all.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 03:10 PM

Probably will be able to break the keepers OUT using a deepwell socket to contain them and a 3 pound Ford Tool.

A couple a whacks and go!!

pdq67

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Snap-On sells some valve spring compressors that might work:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

specifically:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

is billed as not having to take your heads off.

Ed

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
Probably will be able to break the keepers OUT using a deepwell socket to contain them and a 3 pound Ford Tool.
rotflmao...
Those come in 3 sizes, I have all 3... might fit... tight fit... and GONNA FIT!... lol

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 05:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Also keep in mind that the air pressure might turn the engine, not a problem it just kinda surprises you if it happens. And your air compressor needs to be turned on and ready even after pressurizing the cylinder, as it will leak down while you're working.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs68camaro View Post
Actually....that makes sense. I'm guessing that my compressor can't come close to the presser created in the cylinders when it's running???
You are correct, your air compressor probably can't develop as much air pressure as the engine does while running. Most home air compressors won't make over 125 PSI.

Glacier Blue/Dover White 69 SB SS Restoclone.

99 Trans Am...my toy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode