Which Oil Pump - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Which Oil Pump

I have a pretty stock 350 that I am replacing the oil pan on with a 5 qt Z28 pan (GM p/n 360450). I am also going to replace the oil pump while I am in there, any suggestions on which pump and pick up I should use?

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20
12 Bolt 3:73 Posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 07:12 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Which Oil Pump

Mellings Select Series is really the only good option thats not overly pricey like the billet pumps are. There are about 9 or 10 varieties offered of the select series sbc pump. Three or so of them have bolt on pickups. You can select the correct pickup for the Z oil pan and bolt it on. Don't go with the standard Mellings or the Moroso blueprint series pumps. The casting is weaker on the standard Mellings and Moroso has never answered the question "did they use the weaker pump in their blueprint series without realizing they aren't suitable for high performance use". Some have said they did, Moroso won't respond either way.

Do a search for select series pumps on this site and you'll find everything you need to know about the various models for the sbc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks Dave. Should I go with a high pressure or high volume pump?

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 11:46 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Wink Re: Which Oil Pump

Mark personally I don't feel there is ever a need to run a high volume pump on a sbc. There is a lot of disagreement between members regarding how much oil pressure is needed as well. That said, and I know some will dispute it, I'd run the high pressure/standard volume just like the Z/28 originally came with. Problem is it isn't available in the Select series with a bolt on pickup, which caused me to look at the next best option for me.

I looked through my notes again tonight on the Mellings Select pumps. The bolt on pickups are only available if you select one of the 4 pumps that come with 3/4" inlets. The standard sbc pump uses a 5/8 inlet. Since 3 of the 4 Melling Select pumps are race only versions I elected to use the remaining 3/4" inlet version. The only thing I don't like with this pump is it is a 10% increased volume pump. I can live with that, I know I didn't want the 25% high volume pumps. This pump comes with steel gears, shaft supports milled into the pump body and cover, provisions for bolt on pick up, heavy duty casting and many other nice features not found in the standard Mellings pumps. It also came with gears pinned to the shafts, not just pressed on and anti-cavitation grooves machined into the pump body. These last two features are shown as only available on the race version pumps, but mine had them when I disassembled it. Mellings also reduced the end play in the gears to minimize distributor spark scatter. The part number of my pump is 10552.

Some here have suggested that Mellings stopped producing these pumps with steel gears a while back, but mine came with them last year and Mellings is still advertising them as such from what I've seen, or dealers are using old data possibly? Bottom line is I'm really sold on this pump and since Moroso won't answer any questions regarding if they accidentally used or still use the weaker casting Mellings pump in their blueprint series I'm definitely not using their pump. Not at least until they can confirm they aren't selling the weaker casting, which to date they haven't done.

I think Summit lists the 3 or 4 different length bolt on pickups for these pumps. My pickup tube arrived from Summit with a little bit of localized surface rust on the outside of the tube. If yours arrives in this condition, Summit verified this existed throughout their stock, they will credit your charge card for the purchase price of the pickup and let you keep it. Pretty good service from Summit, I've always been very happy with them.

By the way I do plan to run the high pressure spring that came with my 10552 pump also.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

What is the difference between 3/4 and 5/8 inlets. Does it change anything.

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 10:19 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Mark it doesn't change anything internally to the motor. It is the size of the screens pick up tube that attachs to the pump. I think the race motors go with a larger inlet tube because of the application for racing. With pumps you always want a larger diameter suction side than the pump outlet pressure side. You can use the 3/4 inch inlet tube on any application. Just select the correct depth screen and inlet assembly for you oil pan. Summit will tell you what the depth is and you just have to measure your pan. I followed their instructions and it puts my screen down to about 1/4" from the bottom of the pan, which I think is perfect.

When I pulled my last motor apart, may it R.I.P., I found whoever built it used the standard pressed in screen and inlet tube and did not braze it in place. The tube had come loose from the pump and rotated until it hit the bottom of the pan. It was so loose it was only a matter of time before it would've fallen off and the motor would've lost all oil pressure. I always have brazed my pickups to the pump, but the bolt on pickup seemed like a better way to for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode