Loose balancer - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Cool Loose balancer

We just got a 67 model 327 that we have had sitting around for a while running and now it seems as though the balancer is loose. Of corse this crank has no bolt. Is there a balancer available that has an undersize hole? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 07:14 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Loose balancer

Jim is the motor out of the car? If so it's pretty easy to drill and tap the crank for a balancer bolt. It's quite a bit more difficult to do in the car.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY1 View Post
Jim is the motor out of the car? If so it's pretty easy to drill and tap the crank for a balancer bolt. It's quite a bit more difficult to do in the car.
I drilled and tapped my 327 with the engine in the car. It was pretty easy with the radiator out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

We just finished dropping it in and started it up when we found the problem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 08, 11:53 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Jim sorry to hear that. It's darn near impossible to do a good job of it with the engine installed. I have had the same problem you are experiencing a long time ago. What I did was to pick up a handful of balancers of the correct size and found the tightest fitting one that I could. I have also seen crank noses brazed and turned back down to build up the outside diamter of the crank nose. I had a small journal 327 forged crank recently that had been repaired this way before I bought it. But again it would require removal of not only the engin, but the crank also I would think. I wish I had some better advise for you.

I guess I'd pull the radiator, water pump and anything else in the way and try to drill and tap it in the vehicle if you can get a straight shot at it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 04:52 AM

Smile Re: Loose balancer

You can use a center punch and divot the snout ALL over to raise the surface to help tighten it up. Think of it as "knurling" the snout!

Then also use Lock-Tite as well as the bolt.

pdq67

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Ok, do this okie field repair.
Stick your balancer on about halfway. Find a round piece of scrap metal that fits the ID of the balancer so-so. A pipe reducer, collar, socket, something. Drill a hole in the center of it if you need to. You need it to have a hole in the center that fitrs your drill. This will help you keep your drill straight. Then drill the crank about an inch deep and tap it to 7/16 fine(try to get an inch of threads in there). Peen the snout of the crank lightly(snout can bend believe it or not) and buy a new balancer(may require a speedi sleeve, seperate subject). Put a little blue loctite on the crank when you assemble(blue not red dammit), a little oil or wd40 on the OD of the balancer for the seal, and antisleeze on a grade 8 bolt with a genuine balancer washer, 2 bops with a 1/2" impact maybe 3 if yours is weak.

Size the bolt length so that you have at least a diameter's worth of thread length gripping in the crank(over 7/16).Grade 5 works ok too. An extra washer to make a too long bolt work out is ok also.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode