Oil pressure drop - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Oil pressure drop

Ok, The sweet deal that was today. I had just got my new rear end in today. I was going to take it out for some racing. I started it up. I had my normal oil pressure which is about 65 psi at idol when it is cold. The engine may only have maybe 200 miles on it. I drove it around the block twice to see it the any thing was rubbing. I did not get on it at all. Pull in my driveway and I look down at the oil pressure. I have about 10 psi. It seems to be erratically be fluctuating between 5 to 15 psi. Usually when It warms up it drops down to about 45psi at idol which is normal but it only got to about 160 on the temp gauge. any theory's on what could be causing it?

In todays world of technology, there are many ways to go fast. None of which are near as fun as a big block, carburetor, and a stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Oil pressure drop

The first thing I would do is change the oil and the filter. See how that changes things.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Perhaps you lost the pickup tube on the oil pump? Could you be low on oil?

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smits67 View Post
Perhaps you lost the pickup tube on the oil pump? Could you be low on oil?
Neg. I am not low on oil. some one told me I would still have oil pressure at idle if I had lost my pick up.

In todays world of technology, there are many ways to go fast. None of which are near as fun as a big block, carburetor, and a stick.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 12:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yep, replace the filter. You weren't running a Fram, I hope.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

This happened to me too.

I changed the oil and filter and all was good.

One other time, my oil pressure started bouncing around wildly. I had a NAPA gold on it then. At idle it would reduce to zero.
I had to keep my foot on the gas a bit to keep the oil up around 10-15.

I got it home and I was pretty much freakin.

Changed the oil and filter on the advice of people here on TC......

All is well.

Oil filters can fail and oil can sometimes lose its viscosity early.

I've heard of it happening in the aviation field too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Isn't there a bypass when the filter maxes out?

alan
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

what is wrong with a fram filter?iv had for years .never any thing wrong with them

clayton hicker
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 08, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Clayton, I was raised Fram and used them exclusively. Heard guys lambasting them starting in the late 80's. I thought they were full of ****, and then one day I witnessed a fram get blown off the filter base with only 80#. And I have seen more frams than I can count that were bulged out. Fram also clogs very fast, and causes oil pressure to fall. Fram admits their filters are built for average duty and says if you need better they have their more expensive lineups.

I use Wix Racing filters on my good stuff, Napa Gold or silver on anything else. fuggum.

Tim Smith
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a delco on it right now. I have not been real motivated to work on it yet due to all the hard work i did to it to go race and got n3ged. I hope it is the filter but just in case I am going to put and use an oil pump primer instead of running the engine to find out.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

You need 10psi per 1,000 rpm. Don't be freaked out if your gauge is readilg low psi at idle.
When I woul drive my car in 96+* weather and the motor almost at 200* at a light my oil psi would be around 5-8 psi around idle(550-600rpm), at rpm it would increase rapidly to 65.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 09:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
You need 10psi per 1,000 rpm. Don't be freaked out if your gauge is readilg low psi at idle.
When I woul drive my car in 96+* weather and the motor almost at 200* at a light my oil psi would be around 5-8 psi around idle(550-600rpm), at rpm it would increase rapidly to 65.
this is true. However, it's the pressure change that would have me concerned; he normally has 45 psi at idle warmed up and now only has 10. Something changed. I always try a different gauge first, seems like 90% of the time that's what changed.

Jody

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
this is true. However, it's the pressure change that would have me concerned; he normally has 45 psi at idle warmed up and now only has 10. Something changed. I always try a different gauge first, seems like 90% of the time that's what changed.

Jody
That is what I thought. Then I started it back up and the valve train started chattering really bad. That leads me to believe that the gauge is right.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 11:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanismymotor View Post
That is what I thought. Then I started it back up and the valve train started chattering really bad. That leads me to believe that the gauge is right.
yeah, pretty good indication. Start with the simple stuff, oil and a good filter. Take the old filter apart, if there's bearing damage it will be easily seen. At that point the engine will have to come apart.

Jody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode