Roller Tip Rockers ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Roller Tip Rockers ??

My freshly built 454 has the original GM rocker arms. Those rockers have 106,000+ miles on them. There is ONE that I cannot get to stop ticking and it is visually slightly off center of the valve top.

Comp "says" 15 to 30 more HP with their $139.00 Roller Rocker Arms. That sounds like a small price for "that much" improvement.

This is a Hyd flat tappet Comp 260

I guess I am asking.....

Is there really an advantage to roller rocker arms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 03:33 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Roller Tip Rockers ??

Full roller rockers would be better and any gain you would see would be from a more accurate ratio Vs. stock factory stamped steel (that aren't always accurate)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 03:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I love my roller tips!!!

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

I wouldn't waste my money on roller tips. I would just get full rollers for a little more. Less than 2 bills for them on e bay.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I forget exactly but I think Full Rollers while worth more HP also decrease Oil temps by 30 or so degrees over normal rocker arms, there is that much less friction in the system, really a two-fer, more HP and less heat.

If you are going to change them out go for full rollers.

Ed

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 09:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I really don't think any of them give the increases that are claimed. Come on, 30 HP from a set of rockers? Ludicrous. There are certainly positives, but not close to that big.

I ran hundred dollar summit roller tips for years. They did thier job well.
Going with full rollers now, I'm sure they will do thier job too.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Full rollers are worth considerably more due to the way the fulcrum works versus the slipping ball of GM's, but I doubt you'll see 30hp. Do several searches before you decide on a brand, there are plenty out there that are good and plenty that are junk. On a budget, I think Harland Sharp is the best bang for the buck, they've been at it a long, long time.

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 02:26 PM

I'm running a set of PROFORM full roller rockers and they only set me back $170. I was on a tight budget so that's why I went with those. You can clearly see the advantage of full rollers and compared to roller tip or stock. Go with a name brand for sure but I say your hp's will only go up about 10-12 not the 30 some people claim.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 02:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Don't want to steal this tread, but can you install rollers on a head without guides?

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

The HP robbing friction is in the ball and rocker pivot design. This is what robs power. By making this fulcrum a needle bearing design is what makes power. . .roller tips don't. If your not going to get full roller rockers then don't waste the money...what do I know. .. .I use to work for a rocker arm company.

Chris

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 07:06 PM

6 hp??

I figure CC's investment cast Magnum roller tipped rockers b/c they are a uniform 1.72 ratio up to say their ABOUT 350 pounds limit are fine unless you use Ti/Nitride jobbers that increase the load to like 380 or so as a GUESS by me!!!!!

Go over what TiN treated stock type rockers can take and you need to use full roller fulcum and tipped jobbers imho b/c you will be up into the solid roller cam spring ranges that will need them to live!!

pdq67

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 07:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Full rollers are worth considerably more due to the way the fulcrum works versus the slipping ball of GM's, but I doubt you'll see 30hp. Do several searches before you decide on a brand, there are plenty out there that are good and plenty that are junk. On a budget, I think Harland Sharp is the best bang for the buck, they've been at it a long, long time.

I agree with Gary on the friction part of standard ball pivot . I had a set of Comp Magnums and I could see where the pivot pocket had "blued" a little at one time, not sure if it was at start up or not but they did get lube prior. But being I ran high spring pressures, that may have contributed to it. I have the full roller rocker now.

Marc, yes you can install these roller tip rockers on heads with no guides, you do have to use the "self-aligning " type. The have little guide tabs on the end of each roller to keep them centered on the valve stem.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode