Smokey SY-1 intake... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 08, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Smokey SY-1 intake...

This is primarily for this site's "Smoke Ram" expert ...SY-1. I'm looking for good pictures of Sy-1 manifolds installed in cars. I remember SY-1 mentioning a while bach that he had a picture or two of an original Smokey Yunick built 302 with an SY-1 intake on it. I would LOVE to have a high quality E-mailed picture of this engine. I will be letting a friend of mine run my mint condition SY-1 intake and modified annular discharge 750 Holley (flowing 830) for his solid cammed 383. He is a HUGE Smokey Yunick fan and is very into the vintage stuff ...old style Moroso gold valve covers, 461 big valve feulie heads ported to within an inch of their lives, even a gear drive timing set to scare the new generation. If I can get a decent quality picture of a vintage Smokey built 302 with his "Smoke Ram", I would have it framed for him (and myself)

As a side note, I'd be happy to hear about anyone's experience with these intakes.

Thanks,

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 10:54 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Wink Re: Smokey SY-1 intake...

George I'd love to help you out. The pics I have of Yunicks motor are from an ebay ad when Trisha Yunick-Brown was selling off his stuff. I'd bought a set of the experimental hemi 302 pistons from her at that time. The quality is good enough for framing, but I can scan and send it to you. I have some pictures of some other SY-1 motors I've had and several pics from various books of different experimental developmental versions of Smokey's SY-1 prototypes, quite a bit different from the final product and very crude. I can send some of those if they scan well and the SY-1 installation instructions if you need them. They have Smokey's recomendations for jetting, headers, cams and carbs to use with these intakes. I think I have some pics of the wet flow fix to the intake as well. Right now I've got all my data backed up on a portable hard drive as my desk top computer is in for repairs. I'm using my laptops, but they don't have all the files on them. It will take a little time to sort through the hard drive. Pretty busy with moving my son, helping my wife put together a baby shower, work and more work, and a good friend's sons funeral right now (best ball player I ever coached and the most humble and respectful kid I ever worked with).

Give me a week or two and I'll try to get this stuff out to you if you are still interested. I don't think any of it is suitable for framing type stuff, but it's interesting. Also check out Wayne Guinn's Camaro site. He's got a lot of time documenting all the really rare 302 and COPO and off of a kind stuff. There is a link to the history of how the SY-1 came to be. It was designed by Yunick for Chevrolet to use as the replacement crossram for the LT-1 motor, after multiple carbs were prohibited in SCCA. The prototype actually has an assigned Chevrolet part number before they killed it. It was the last collaboration between Yunick and Chevrolet. Pretty neat reading.

Dave
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 09:31 AM

Re: Smokey SY-1 intake...

Dave,

I looked for the Smokey Ram link and didn't quickly find it. (Might notta been in the right Wayne G. site??)..

Would you please post it back? I want to do some reading up on it.

Thanks,

pdq67

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 12:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Lordy Dave, your life brings reality to our hobby. Hang in there.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 10:27 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Paul here is the link:
http://guinns-engineering.com/Docume...Components.htm

Scroll down on the right side until you see the Smokey Ram and click on it. Was going to be the over the counter cross ram in 1970 until Chevrolet backed out. It is very similar to the production unit that Edelbrock bought the rights to. The brace cast into the number eight runner doesn't exist in the production units, but other than that it's about the same.

Dave
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 10:53 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks Fred for the kind words. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. Saturday was tough, Monday will be tougher. This site is a great diversion for me. Helps keep me sane sometimes!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 05:23 PM

Thank's Dave!!

One I wished Weiand would have made for us is the old 413/426/440, 3x2 MOPAR cross intake PN 7252 base, PN 7253 gasket and top PN 7254!

It's made like a Z-28, 2x4 but raised like 30 degrees in the air!

I wish somebody would post a pic of it.

pdq67

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 08, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Sy-1,

Thanks for the response. I would be VERY interested in ANY info, pictures, etc concerning the SY-1 intakes. He wants to run that intake badly. I have to admit that I'll miss it being on my shelf on display.

Any info would be great,

[email protected]

George
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 12:43 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Smile Re: Smokey SY-1 intake...

No problem George. Sorry for the delays getting the info. I really dislike this new laptop with Window Vista, my desktop that's still broke had all my info on it, including the drivers for my scanner to work, I've been unsucessful trying to use this new computer with my scanner. Who says computers save time?

Just found out my next door neighbor of 20+ years died Monday morning while we were at my friend's sons funeral. So I'm pretty busy Wednesday and Thursday with his services. Friday I'm trying to get back in to see one of my doctors as some issues have returned from last falls surgeries. So I'm not sure how that will go and I work a long shift in the afternoon and evening. Saturday is gone helping my son with some things at his new home. So maybe Sunday I'll get back to the computer and get the info together. Luckily I saved everything on a stand alone hard drive before the computer crashed, so I have most of it, but many of the Smokey items are hard copies that I'll need to scan.

Give me another week and I hope things slow down around here. Life seems to keep getting in the way of my plans! I won't forget to get these items to you. It's just a little hectic right now. If you don't hear from me in a week drop me an email. Address I believe is in my profile. I also try to stay up with this site daily as I find it's a great distraction from life and a good place to take my mind off of other things for a while.

Dave
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 01:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Unhappy Re: Smokey SY-1 intake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY1 View Post
... Friday I'm trying to get back in to see one of my doctors as some issues have returned from last falls surgeries. So I'm not sure how that will go ...

Dave
Oh no - not the nose thing again
Sorry to hear that Dave, hope all works out good for you in the long run

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 05:17 PM

"I also try to stay up with this site daily as I find it's a great distraction from life and a good place to take my mind off of other things for a while."

You too!!

He, He!!

pdq67

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Sy1,

It seems that you have much more important things going on than my trivial Smokey Ram interests. Obviously don't go out of your way on my account. Hopefully everything will turn out turn out OK on your end.

George
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 08:53 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

George I'll get the info out. I just wanted to make sure you didn't need it right away and that I wasn't putting you off. I get real discouraged working on restoring computers, partly because it's a process that takes me days to get them back operational again. So I tend to put it off until I have a day or two free. Hopefully Sunday I can get back to it. If not I'll have to set up the scanner to work off this computer and install my backup data off my stand alone hard drive so I can use this one for all my car stuff.

John it's not the sinus surgery. I've accepted the old nose is only going to work as good as it does. In July my doctor thought I had skin cancer and growth in hip and chest (how does that happen when you live in the land without sun, Michigan? LOL). All but three of the eleven sites tested normal. Those 3 I'm just supposed to watch for changes. One changed recently. So I just need to get it looked at. No big deal, it may be nothing. If it is something it's always good to find out early. We've dealt with the C word in our family a lot over the past 4 years, so I don't fear it, not at least until you know for sure there's something to fear, then you fight it. Lots of people deal with a lot worse everyday. Throw a knee surgery into December for me. I'm riding my mountain bike now on a resistance trainer in the basement trying to get back to normal for spring. My daughter has had 4 knee surgeries, including ACL replacement, so I had an expert living with me telling me what to expect. How lucky is that? Seriously I've got dual insurance, so we're blessed that we can afford good health care.

I save my worries for people like my friend who unexpectedly lost his 24 year old son to meningitis last week. The dad has battled stomach cancer for 7 years. That is unheard of if you talk to doctors. It has spread to his other organs now. It's really guys like him who need our prayers.

It's not all gloom and doom around here though. Some good news is I'll be a grampa in April! We are really excited. I'm also going to Switzerland and Monaco for vacation/work in March. So I try to focus on the positive because there is a lot to be happy for.

Pdq I suspected you, like me, enjoy spending a little time daily on this site. Wonderful people and a ton of information about something we are all passionate about. It is a great distraction from life when life is coming at you fast everyday. Hope you avoided all the storms this week. I feel sorry for all the people who lost so much to the tornadoes. It's just snow by the time the storm hit up here, about 15 inches today. We've had a white winter this year!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 08, 04:25 PM

Dave,

I live w/ BAD sinuses! So much so that I know everybody around me hate's ta hear me always coughing, snorting and gagging! And outside, spitting!!

My last bout took (7) 400 mg tab's of AVELOX to knock the crud outta my head b/c I got to where I couldn't breath, much less sleep at night!!

As for other things, since I had my Lamenactomy(Sp?) L-4/5 reamed out a year ago Jan 3rd, I can walk again and carry my wonderful Grandbaby Girls around!

It got so bad before I had surgury that I was "gimping" and was using a T-4 and a double shot to put me to sleep, the pain was THAT BAD!!!!!!!

I was scared to death of surgery, but still considered myself tough as nails, but it flat wore the ol' man slick before I got up enough nerve ta get cut on!!

I'm fine now!

Good luck w/ everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, take your time and enjoy.................

pdq67

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 08, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Man ...suddenly my 4 herniated discs, dum knees, and cronic headaches don't sound so bad!

SY-1 ...seriously, I'm in no rush here! Just like those crazy intakes!

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode