Cam recommendations - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Cam recommendations

Such a sorry saga. I had my 350 rebuilt, shipped it overseas and have the same dang problem...cam and bearings went bad in a month. I couldn't break it in prior to shipping as the mech held it until the very day I had to ship and now blames me (basically) as there were oil pump/pressure problems....anyway 5K later and I need to put another cam and bearing set in. Any recommendations on a decent cam for a little rockin' but mainly just street driving? Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Cam recommendations

That blows. I saw you posted the same question before. Is it for the same motor?https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79150 The guys gave some pretty good recommendations on that post.

I was thinking of going with Eddies 2102 Cam. Nothing rad.

Prior to shipping my car I weighed the two evils = Buy a new GM crate or have one rebuilt. I bought the crate and love it.

BTW my cars been in the garage for a few months now, I registered it non op and cancelled the insurance. I found a company that will insure it for about 150 Euros a year! And thats full coverage, they call it Old Timer ins. Theres stipulations on the amount of kilometers/miles you put on it per year, garaged, and the age of the car etc. I have to ask about the agreed value when i go get a more formal quote.
I'll shoot you a PM when I get the name of the company if your interested and the quote if you want.

Bis Spaeter

john
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Yup, same engine (original.) I looked at the old thread but crane has changed up a bit and I wanted to see if there were any newer suggestions for new products. Send the site for the insurance! Appreciate it.....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Check out Comp Cam's free cam choosing tool:

http://www.compcams.com/Camquest/

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 08:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Just a dumb question, but doesn't a cam go bad during break-in on the lobes? What is happening to cause the failure at the bearings?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 09:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Talking Re: Cam recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Just a dumb question, but doesn't a cam go bad during break-in on the lobes? What is happening to cause the failure at the bearings?
Im scratchin my head here too. Oil pump/pressure problems will make the bearings go bad before the lobes.
Better figure out whats up with the ooil prob first.

BTW, I have a really good cam Ill give you if you want it, just pay for shipping. Its already broke in and its not too wild at all as long as you have the compression for it.
Lifters can come with if you like and they are marked appropriately.
Let me know.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 04:55 PM

Sound's like you mighta PO'd the Mechanic and he created a "ringer" for you b/c he knew he wouldn't be around ta feel the heat??

Sorry it happened!!

pdq67

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

What kind of oil pump/pressure problems? If it was bad enought to get cam bearings .... that's not all that's wrong.

Cam bearings have an easy life, their worst enemy is installation. You can tear hell out of em driving them in the block, and standard practice is to scrape them back round. It's ok if you just get 1 or 2 little dings, and they clean up pretty. But I am forever putting them in and look at them and throw 1 away cuz I don't like it. I keep bunches of em around. Last time I put a set in my 283 I had trouble with one of em, and thought I had gotten it where I liked it. Ran the engine about 30 minutes and the filter had sparklies. Pulled the pan and I had lost one of my cam bearings. No big deal, knocked it out and knocked in a good used one of the correct OD and put it back together. Still together.

They just bite you sometimes.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode