Which Oil Pump Spring - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Which Oil Pump Spring

Guy's , we may have mentioned this but I can't find it.

I have my motor apart, Specs are in the middle, not high or low side but stock specs on my Scat crank. I am using the Mellings Select 10550 hi volume pump. There was a note in the package that this pump has the Pink pressure spring and regulates pressure to 70 psi. 25 weather start up is close to 80 psi and hot (185) idles at 60 with 15-40 oil(Rotella). I switched to 5-30 oil and psi drops into the 60 psi range during cold. I had planned to switch back to 15-40 during summer but am wondering if I need to swap pump pressure springs while I have oil pan off ( rear gasket leak on one piece gasket)

The pump includes a black spring to drop psi into the 60 psi range. I tempted to do this before but left well enough alone.

I need some input. Think I should leave the 70 psi spring in or replace it with the black 60# spring.

Dave?? Tim? Anyone else ?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Which Oil Pump Spring

Don i would go with the 60 psi spring and stay with the 15w40 , i have the big block pump in ours and run the low pressure spring and it works out great , at hot idle i have 50 psi and at three grand i have 65 at 150 degrees oil temp with 15w40 and lucas oil additive .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

You may gain a few hp by going to the 60. And it won't harm a thing, just make the relief open sooner or more.

If you had 60 at hot idle, you probly had 70 hot cruising?

You thinkin your high oil pressure may be part of the leak?

Did you put a little silicone on the back of the rear main cap at the block joint? Easy to forget. Ask me how I know

Tim Smith

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 08:51 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Don I'm not that far along on mine with the 10552 pump. From your experience I think I'll go with the black 60 psi spring though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

OK, guess I was thinking correctly by going to the black 60# spring. I was thinking it would be ok to leave the 70# spring and just alternate oil viscosities, but I am used to running the 15-40 oil.

One thing that has caught my eye is the mating surface on the rear main cap to new oil pump. When I pop it on to the dowels with out being tightened down, there is a little "rocking" and that is leading me to think the mating surface on the main cap to oil pump surface , is not perfect.
Now this surface is parallel to the sealing surface of the rear oil pan gasket seal. My thinking is that IF there is a leak at the cap to oil pump surface, it could be shooting a hi pressure ( 70#) stream directly on this deal, thus causing forced pressure on the sealing parting line of the pan and gasket. Possible? So, I remove my main cap, stud, and dowel pins, I will lap this cap to oil pump surface on a piece of glass with fine sandpaper to reveal and uneveness and hopefully make the surface true.

Tim, No I did not add rtv on those pan end seals ,only the corners as I always do, but it getting a new gasket, another new blue main seal and RTV. Good luck for me as winter storm hit this morning after blowing sand for 3 days and I will not be missing any cruising.

I am really not concerned now about oil temp as since I got this motor together and added the rear intake bypass water lines to T-stat adapter, my water temp is lower by 10-15, so I am good here.

Thanks All for the input, black spring it is.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Tim, No I did not add rtv on those pan end seals ,only the corners as I always do, but it getting a new gasket, another new blue main seal and RTV. Good luck for me as winter storm hit this morning after blowing sand for 3 days and I will not be missing any cruising.
Don, that wasn't what I was talkin bout. I'm saying UNDER the main cap. From about the thrust flange back, and a very very thin layer. It's metal to metal and oil can seep out there.

Good catch on the pump surface.

Does that pump have a deflector on the relief valve? Which way does it blow?

Yeah, I'm taking refuge from the snow after being out in it all day.

Tim Smith
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Don, that wasn't what I was talkin bout. I'm saying UNDER the main cap. From about the thrust flange back, and a very very thin layer. It's metal to metal and oil can seep out there.

Good catch on the pump surface.

Does that pump have a deflector on the relief valve? Which way does it blow?

Yeah, I'm taking refuge from the snow after being out in it all day.
Yes, Under and over on the gasket. I got that.

Main cap to oil pump surface had a high spot. Lapped the mount surface , All good and even now.
Discovered I got the wrong one piece gasket, 70 model block with the late model pan. I picked up the narrow seal job.

Relief port must be internal back to suction side as I don't see a port back to crankcase.

Black spring installed.

Don
TC # 349

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode