NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Bo
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 13
NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

I have in my posession a MerlinX World products aluminum 10.2"+ deck block. The block is a raw casting. People at Bill Mitchell say the way their system works is: they get the blocks direct from the foundry, from there they ship out to be machined at a separate company in Michigan, after machining in Michigan they are freighted back to Bill Mitchell for retail.

Bill Mitchell states "How ever you got that block" (insinuatung it is stolen) "we will not have it machined for you". The story I got on it was a BIG engine builder in Michigan bought several of them raw as this one is. I have already been in contact with a couple of companies who do full machining of other blocks that claim they will find a CNC facility with the software and setup experience to complete this block. I was wondering with the machinists and retired GM employees etc. on this forum if anyone could direct me to the facility I am seeking.

Thanks in advance for any help
NEokcTERROR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 05:27 PM
Moderator
Bill
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Waldorf Md. USA
Posts: 3,290
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

Bo,
I cant help you but I bet that by the time you pay someone to measure or probe an existing block, then write the code to machine yours, you will be ahead of the game just buying one from World.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BillK is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 06:49 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 21,341
Question Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

OK!!

Who stole it and then sold it to you??

Personally, I'd drop it like a hot potatoe!!

OR!!!

Who cherry-picked it off the scrap truck that was taking it back to the secondary aluminum smelter to melt her down and cast her again, RIGHT this time!!

He, He!! Or did the SOBin' raw block come from CHINA??????????????????????

pdq67



pdq67 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 07:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NORTH EAST
Posts: 938
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

I have had several calls on SMC aluminum raw blocks as well and told them to bu all the hardware wite the programs and tool up they could probably buy 4 or 5 blocks by time it done being machined.

I think I have had 3 calls on the same block as it kept ending up on ebay.
CNC BLOCKS N/E is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Bo
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 13
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Bo,
I cant help you but I bet that by the time you pay someone to measure or probe an existing block, then write the code to machine yours, you will be ahead of the game just buying one from World.
Your points are exactly the reason I am looking for: "a CNC facility with the software and setup experience to complete this block". In otherwords they should be able to put my block into the existing production and complete it with minimal cost.
NEokcTERROR is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Bo
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 13
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

This is the same block that was on eBay, and only legitimately sold one time on eBay. I CAN track it's history, and have to my satisfaction.

Funny how you think a website can be helpful until all the crackheads chime in. For those of you who think it may be stolen you should do something about it or STFU! The block is at my shop APS Automotive 7725 NE 23rd Street Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. BRING IT!

In the end this block will be a finished piece one way or the other. I would prefer to farm it out to someone with a ready to go CNC program due to the sake of time. There are machine shops here in town who can handle every bit of it on manual machines, and I have the blueprints to accomplish it. Cost effectiveness will be the major obstacle as the operations I don't have the machines for will have to be paid for and setup will be a real shot in the wallet.

Production block machining from a raw casting is performed mostly on 4 axis CNC equipment. Several companies make these machines with the capability to machine a block. There are also companies that are private who machine racing engine blocks for DART, WORLD, GM and others. Two of them are Galaxy machine in MI who I believe does some DART small block stuff, and Uni-BORE also in Michigan which I know used to do the CNC Bowtie big blocks around the turn of the century as I have all the blueprints with their letterhead on them. I have blueprints for all the machine work on BBC blocks with the pan rail(non-priority) oiling system. Sunnen, Rottler and Perfection are three of the companies I have found who offer 4 axis equipment for finishing unmachined castings. I will be in contact with them tomorrow to see who has purchsed the machines with the software. The trade magazine I have states the software for popular engine blocks are available from the equipment manufacturer as part of the machine purchase with user adjustable variables like deck height etc.

pdq67: It's aluminum no cherry picker needed . It's not stolen as previously stated. The manufacturer has no interest in it. Made in USA cast right into the back of it. Do you have an intelligent point, or comment?

CNC BLOCKS N/E: I looked at your site: Nice stuff! I don't have the trade book in front of me right now so I don't remember which machine manufacturer it was, but the writer of the article stated one machine took 20 minutes including setup to bore the cam then moving to the other machine and setup took 30 minutes and the 4 axis finished it in 45 minutes to the point of bolting on the caps. The final line boring step took another 25 minutes including installing the caps. I know the programs were probably loaded in advance, and all the correct tooling in the machines prior, but that's still fast, and it came out ready to install sleeves.
NEokcTERROR is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 10:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
larry
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: memphis, TN
Posts: 318
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

You might try Brad Anderson on the west coast (CA) i know he has 4 CNC machines that do cyl heads and blocks. He does aolchol stuff (hemi) but he might have a program for chevy stull also.
Larry
larry A/SA is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 05:29 AM
Moderator
Bill
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Waldorf Md. USA
Posts: 3,290
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEokcTERROR View Post
In otherwords they should be able to put my block into the existing production and complete it with minimal cost.
Bo,
I personally dont care where the block came from, but do you really think that one (if there is more than one) of the facilities that machines these blocks for World would really jeapordize thier contract by machining one block for an individual ? I would guess that thier is probably only a couple of facilities (if that) that meet the criteria that you have posted. They are probably under contract with WP to do these blocks and I would almost bet money that they are not allowed to do what you want.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BillK is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Bo
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 13
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Bo,
I personally dont care where the block came from, but do you really think that one (if there is more than one) of the facilities that machines these blocks for World would really jeapordize thier contract by machining one block for an individual ? I would guess that thier is probably only a couple of facilities (if that) that meet the criteria that you have posted. They are probably under contract with WP to do these blocks and I would almost bet money that they are not allowed to do what you want.
Well I have already spoken to 2 who are machining other(not WP) blocks. My only concern is to avoid any welding repairs due to casting variances. I am not naive to casting differences. However ALL the areas except oil galleys and possibly core plug locations have to be the same or none of the other parts would fit, and this has been verified by production block shops. I have found through my efforts that these blocks have been machined by a few different companies over the years. One such company has been through bankruptcy, and was bought out. I just haven't been able to speak to the right person there yet. I have lost contact with a man who I KNOW if I could find him could get Dick Maskin to run it through the DART program. I lost touch with him years ago. He is a contract five axis programmer and cylinder head airflow genius. He did program work for Dick Maskin on his CNC porting program.

The funniest thing about this whole deal is that if the guys @ Bill Mitchell are sore about a block like this being around why wouldn't they just take my money, machine the block and be happy. Instead this unmachined block (that they don't sell) is here for the world to see. Fact of the matter is that even if they have a contract with WP it wouldn't cost ever cost WP any money on a lost sale. I have ran WP stuff before, and have had trouble with WP stuff before and they have to have the lousiest customer stisfaction when there is a problem that I have ever encountered. I had casting issue with a cylinder head a few years back that had coolant getting in the intake port around the guide. They wouldn't even cover the shipping 1 way never the less both ways to get it exchanged out.

Anyway off to work.
NEokcTERROR is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 06:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NORTH EAST
Posts: 938
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEokcTERROR View Post
Well I have already spoken to 2 who are machining other(not WP) blocks. My only concern is to avoid any welding repairs due to casting variances. I am not naive to casting differences. However ALL the areas except oil galleys and possibly core plug locations have to be the same or none of the other parts would fit, and this has been verified by production block shops. I have found through my efforts that these blocks have been machined by a few different companies over the years. One such company has been through bankruptcy, and was bought out. I just haven't been able to speak to the right person there yet. I have lost contact with a man who I KNOW if I could find him could get Dick Maskin to run it through the DART program. I lost touch with him years ago. He is a contract five axis programmer and cylinder head airflow genius. He did program work for Dick Maskin on his CNC porting program.

The funniest thing about this whole deal is that if the guys @ Bill Mitchell are sore about a block like this being around why wouldn't they just take my money, machine the block and be happy. Instead this unmachined block (that they don't sell) is here for the world to see. Fact of the matter is that even if they have a contract with WP it wouldn't cost ever cost WP any money on a lost sale. I have ran WP stuff before, and have had trouble with WP stuff before and they have to have the lousiest customer stisfaction when there is a problem that I have ever encountered. I had casting issue with a cylinder head a few years back that had coolant getting in the intake port around the guide. They wouldn't even cover the shipping 1 way never the less both ways to get it exchanged out.

Anyway off to work.

Knowing Dick Maskin I highly doubt it will go through his shop!!!!!!!
CNC BLOCKS N/E is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 12:49 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 21,341
Re: NEEDED engine block machining facility for Big Block Chevy

Back again.

Good luck getting the orphan aluminum block machined and please come back after the block is done and fill in the details.

pdq67



pdq67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome