Head bolt / rocker bolt sealant ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Head bolt / rocker bolt sealant ?

It's been awhile since I put the engine in the '69 together and it's still running strong so I guess I did good. Now I'm about to bolt some heads (Edelbrock RPM's) on an engine for the '67 and can't remember which sealant goes where. I have...

Permatex Aviation Sealant Liquid (the brown stuff, reminds me of the ole Indian Head)

and

Permatex 14a Thread Sealant with Teflon (the white stuff)

Which is best to use where?

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 06:33 PM
Bill

Re: Head bolt / rocker bolt sealant ?

Robert,
You can use either on either They both work fine. I have used the Indian Head for years but lately have started using the Permatex Teflon instead. I think the parts store was out of Indian Head so we got the teflon.

Depending on the heads, you may or may not need it on the rocker studs. I dont remember if the ones on the RPM's go into the intake port or not. If they dont go through, just use some 30W oil.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Head bolt / rocker bolt sealant ?

Thanks Bill, I may use the Teflon as well. Progress, right? That Indian Head is tuff, I remember spilling some in a tool box and not knowing it had cured. Couldn't scrape it out for anything and a typical propane torch wouldn't budge it. FYI the Edelbrock RPM rocker studs (hole) do invade the intake ports.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

Last edited by rojo; Feb 1st, 08 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode