pushrod and transmission question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

pushrod and transmission question

Well, I am almost done installing the motor and trans. Here are the two issues/questions.

1. As I was working around the motor today, I noticed that some of my pushrods were still able to be spun with my fingers, even thought there was no "slack" in them., Now, they were not in their original "adjusted" position. Would it be normal for a pushrod, somewhere in the stroke, to be able to be turned with your fingers?

2. I bolted the engine and tranny together today, and I when I went to connect the torque converter to the flexplate, it would not move. I somehow (discovered after I took it back apart) allowed the converter to slipped forward a little and it was not sitting all the way back against the transmission. I took the bolts loose and slid the converter back, bolted the stuff together, and it spun freely as it was supposed to. I then bolted it to the flexplate and continued with the other things on the car.

Is is it possible that I damaged the tranny in this situation? I'm not taking it out, but I am curious.

350/350

I also asked this on the other TC board, just in case you think you are seeing things.

Thanks

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: pushrod and transmission question

1: I did mine today. zero lash (no clicky clicky up and down) plus 1/4 turn preload. I can still spin the pushrods if the valve is not open.

2: as long as it didn't run, you didn't hurt anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
1: I did mine today. zero lash (no clicky clicky up and down) plus 1/4 turn preload. I can still spin the pushrods if the valve is not open.

2: as long as it didn't run, you didn't hurt anything.

Thank you JIm. I did spin the thing with a big screwdriver about a 1/4 turn before I realized something was wrong.

I hope to fire her tomorrow. Eveyone on this board cross your fingers, toes, arms and whatever else you can cross. I need this to be the one time when I did it right the first time.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Agree on pushrods being OK.

On tranny you are probly good too as long as it didn't get started in a bind. All it was is the slots on the verter weren't splined to the oil pump gear.

Got stuff crossed for you here boss.

Tim Smith
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
bill

since you didnt start it. you still of may of bent the flywheel , broken or cracked the pump gears in the pump. than when you start it and fill or may not fill at all, and doesnt move you killed the pump in tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode