Warming up 396 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J

Warming up 396

My '69 396 takes a good 3-5 mins to warm up so it can idle. Upon starting the choke is on and the car will idle at approx 1500 - 2000 rpms. If I tap the pedal before a good 3 - 5 mins the choke will dis-engage and rpms will drop to idle range but will die. Is this typicaL for big block cars?

If I allow enough warming time and tap the pedal the rpms will drop and the car typically will idle as it should.

Right after start up (when warmed up) my car will idle at approx 800 rpms. While driving for a while I noticed that the idle moves up a little to 1000 rpms or slightly above. If I sat at a light long engoug it appeared that the idle would slowly creep back down to 800 - 900 rpms. Is the normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 10:33 AM

Re: Warming up 396

My small block with edelbrock 750 ( no choke ) acts the same way...the more it warms up the lower the idle gets....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 11:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

I had one that would do that at idle when warm and it ended up being a broken spring on the dist weight under rotor. Timing was moving at idle.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 12:26 PM

thats a good point...going to have to take a look at distributor....thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 12:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Normal? It's a 69 Camaro 396. Nope, no such thing as normal.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech

The choke disengaging before warm shouldn't happen either. If it's thermostatic, it needs adjusted or the coil needs replaced.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Most likely some basic tune issues going on if a mild engine won't idle after a couple minutes. I'm sympathetic with allowing the tune to decay on a street car. As long as it doesn't begin to do embarrassing things. A carb won't track ambient changes like a newer car will. I would play with the idle jets and check timing first. A little fatter and a little more advance. Winter you are getting cold/dense air so the combustion is leaned out AND more heat is consumed by the inlet air... so the flame front propagates slower. The colder the inlet air the more advance an engine will take before the dreaded risko'dets begin.

Tim Smith
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Like Eric says, check the choke for correct operation first.

alan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

My 396 has no choke setup on the carb so I have to babysit the carb for the first 1 or 2 minutes to keep it running. After a minute or 2 it will idle by itself. After it warms up the idle will climb to 700-800 rpm's.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 08, 11:47 AM

check if your throttle is sticking a little bit. same thing happen to me when i was at a light. carb was just stuck a little bit.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
red

I want to no more about your engine set up. Tell us about your engine.
Tell us about your driveline. Carb size?
I have a 427 engine with dual 600 on it. I set the front carb on fast idle with the choke plate remove. Takes 2 mins. and down the road i go. Have headers and 3 inch exhaust with L78 cam 4 speed.
I tried a test years ago with a 350 11:1 engine. I put a 600 holley then a 650 then a 700 then a 750 then a 780 and i could not believe the difference in the car idle and sound of car that changed. Also the thottle response. At that point i was into carb repairing. I just no at that time the best all around turned out to be the 750 carb for idle and response.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 08:03 AM

As others have said, this sounds like something needs adjusting, or the choke isn't working right (you didn't mention your carb, so not sure what you have). I've got a '68 with a 396, and it had an old Edelbrock carb on it when I bought it. It had an electric choke that would never work correctly. It'd take several minutes before the car would idle on its own. I knew the carb had other problems though, so recently finally replaced it with a Holley Street Avenger 770... also with electric choke. And now things are perfect. The choke now works like it's supposed to... stays active and keeps the idle high while cold, slowly stepping the idle down to "normal idle" as the car warms up. No issues at all now with the car having problems staying running, and it's incredibly difficult to rev high enough to force the choke to step down prematurely (and even if it does, your next tap on the gas pedal puts it right again).

~Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode