Valve ticking? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Valve ticking?

Just took my 69' out for a drive (great weather here today) and I can hear a very audible ticking sound. I'm pretty sure I heard it when I drove it 2wks ago, but didn't investigate. At one point, I thought I had the turn signal on, as it sounds just like it, but of course, increases/decreases with rpms. I popped the hood with it idling and it sounds like it's ticking at the back of the valve cover...like above #5 or #7. It's a built 350 with roller rockers. If/when I take the cover off, what exactly should I be looking for? And does it sound like it might be an easy fix/adjustment? I'm an idiot when it comes to engines, so be nice

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: Valve ticking?

I had that same exact issue and it turned out to be a leaking header gasket.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
I had that same exact issue and it turned out to be a leaking header gasket.
I checked the bolts for tightness 2wks ago when I heard it, as it was a fainter sound. It's louder now...but my hearing kinda sucks too.

EDIT: Hmm...I was able to tighten the two rear bolts down a bit...and it seemed to lessen the sound. The back one is kinda tough to reach. I think I'll support the collector just a bit and try to tighten more after it cools off a tad. You might have guessed the problem Charlie.

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.

Last edited by dbx1969; Feb 8th, 08 at 12:42 PM.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 12:50 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
At one point, I thought I had the turn signal on, as it sounds just like it

Typically, old people drive around with their turn signal on but they wouldn't be able to hear any ticking noise anyways so at least you can still hear good!.....No, but seriously, hopefully it's just a loose valve adjustment and not a bad rocker arm.....Grasp the pushrod with your fingers and see if you can move it up and down, if so, then you'll need to readjust the valve.

Also, look for any black carbon trail around the header flange, which would indicate a leakage.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

I used to have the same problem with my old Blue 69. It had headers on it and for some reason would allways burn the header gasket out on # 8 cyclinder. I finally replaced the cheep gaskets with a set of percys aluminum gaskets and never had aproblem again.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Typically, old people drive around with their turn signal on but they wouldn't be able to hear any ticking noise anyways so at least you can still hear good!.....No, but seriously, hopefully it's just a loose valve adjustment and not a bad rocker arm.....Grasp the pushrod with your fingers and see if you can move it up and down, if so, then you'll need to readjust the valve.

Also, look for any black carbon trail around the header flange, which would indicate a leakage.
LOL. I'll try that Ron. Can't see any obvious black marking, but it's hard to see so far back. It's a beautiful day here, but I may not have time to check the valve itself until tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28 View Post
I used to have the same problem with my old Blue 69. It had headers on it and for some reason would allways burn the header gasket out on # 8 cyclinder. I finally replaced the cheep gaskets with a set of percys aluminum gaskets and never had aproblem again.
I will keep this in mind.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28 View Post
That's what I was thinking also kevin. Mine was doing the same thing on the P/S, when I took them loose the center gasket was blown out. I replaced them on both sides while I was at it, just used the cheap felpro gaskets . Still have a slight tapping in either the #4 or #6 cylinder.

Glacier Blue/Dover White 69 SB SS Restoclone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 Trans Am...my toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
That's what I was thinking also kevin. Mine was doing the same thing on the P/S, when I took them loose the center gasket was blown out. I replaced them on both sides while I was at it, just used the cheap felpro gaskets . Still have a slight tapping in either the #4 or #6 cylinder.
Thanks Mark. I had to go p/u my oldest from school for the wknd, and I just got back. I will just take the headers loose on that side tomorrow and see what the gasket looks like....and go from there. I tightened up the header and thought for a moment it sounded better....but I'm not really sure and I don't like hearing anything that doesn't sound normal

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

Not to hijack this thread too much but I have the same problem. But, mine is not a header gasket leak. I recently installed new headers and aluminum gaskets and am sure they are not leaking. I have had a lifter/valve noise mostly on the passenger side for a while now. Since I have no idea what cam is in my 402 (396), I was asuuming that it is suppsoed to sound that way. The only thing I know is it has roller tipped rockers. While driving the car last Sunday I noticed that the performance was dropping off and it got to the point that it would not idle. Yesterday, I started it up again and it runs a little rough and will not stay running below 2000 rpms. When I get the time I am going to pull off the valve cover, turn the engine over and check the rocker movement to see if there is a valvetrain problem.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdave69 View Post
Not to hijack this thread too much but I have the same problem. But, mine is not a header gasket leak......... While driving the car last Sunday I noticed that the performance was dropping off and it got to the point that it would not idle.........

This is probably worth starting a new thread, just so you get better info. But from your description, the very first thing I would do is a compression test of all 8 cylinders. If you have a performance loss, then something ain't right. A compression test will tell you which cylinder(s) to look at more closely. Could be loose/worn valvetrain component, worn cam lobe, bent push rod, stuck lifter, head gasket leak, etc, etc..............

Of course, check the basic things too, like plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Also, look for vacuum leak. Maybe a vacuum hose fell off???

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I had a hell of a time tightening #8 cylinder bolts. I had to use swivels, extensions, etc. I have since used thread lock on them. I haven't had any further issues. I have ARP bolts that I may use that are drilled so I can use safety wire to keep them from backing out along with the thread lock. Another thing Kevin, I had a cam go out on me. I had two lobes wipe and it made alomost the same sound. When it started again I was pissed, but it ended up just being the header gasket. If you are getting the sound to change by tightening the header/manifold bolts, then I would lean toward that being the problem area.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
I had a hell of a time tightening #8 cylinder bolts. I had to use swivels, extensions, etc. I have since used thread lock on them. I haven't had any further issues. I have ARP bolts that I may use that are drilled so I can use safety wire to keep them from backing out along with the thread lock. Another thing Kevin, I had a cam go out on me. I had two lobes wipe and it made alomost the same sound. When it started again I was pissed, but it ended up just being the header gasket. If you are getting the sound to change by tightening the header/manifold bolts, then I would lean toward that being the problem area.
When it warms up here in a little while, I'm going to investigate further. Gosh, I hope it's just the gasket. If it's a loose valve...I'll be back on here asking how to tighten it, unless it's real obvious. I've never made it a secret that I know zero about engines. The closest thing for me working on an engine was replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 79' Z...about 25yrs ago .

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

OK, here's a pic of the rockers. As you can see, the 2nd from the end on the right is down, while the rest are up (actually, the very 1st one is ever so slightly down). What does this mean...and how can I fix it? Is it likely that this one rocker is making the ticking sound I'm hearing?

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
OK, here's a pic of the rockers. As you can see, the 2nd from the end on the right is down, while the rest are up (actually, the very 1st one is ever so slightly down). What does this mean...
In no way does that indicate a bad (or noisy) lifter. It just means that particular cam lobe is actuating the valve. You would always see a few like that. Rotate the engine slowly by hand and you'll see they all move (eventually). Two crankshaft rotations will rotate the cam once - each valve will go up and down one time during that process.

I would start by adjusting the lifters, to see if one is slightly loose. I like to set mine (assuming hydraulics) at zero lash plus 1/4 turn.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
In no way does that indicate a bad (or noisy) lifter. It just means that particular cam lobe is actuating the valve. You would always see a few like that. Rotate the engine slowly by hand and you'll see they all move (eventually). Two crankshaft rotations will rotate the cam once - each valve will go up and down one time during that process.

I would start by adjusting the lifters, to see if one is slightly loose. I like to set mine (assuming hydraulics) at zero lash plus 1/4 turn.

-
Thanks Dave. It's comforting to know that the position is apparently normal. But...I have no idea how to adjust them or what zero lash even means.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode