What causes this ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What causes this ?

What causes oil to splatter on the valve cover through the breather cap. Has a fairly new pcv valve run to port on carb.Vent cap on back of block is plugged with a freeze plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 08:16 PM

Re: What causes this ?

I'd check and see if the cap's bottom is sealed b/c when I made my 406's home made PCV system, I had to remove all the stuff inside it, then seal all the little holes and finally install a brass 90 hose fitting.

They leak if the holes aren't plugged like you are talking about. And you better have either an intake w/ an oil filler tube and push-on cap or another cap in the front of the drivers side valve cover to complete the air circulation circuit.

pdq67

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have an rpm air gap intake and holley 670 street avenger carb. Breather cap is on the front driver side valve cover. PCV valve is on the pass. side rear and run to big port on carb. Is this proper ventalation? The engine is a 275 hp 327. Engine was made in 1966.I have the correct intake and valve covers that I may put back on the car.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

What type of valve covers are you using ? Do they have baffles? If not you can get baffeled rubber gromets that the breather goes into and give that a try.

Russ
1969 RS conv,hugger orange,396 4 speed,373 12 bolt posi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

pcv should be on the drivers side.

Russ
1969 RS conv,hugger orange,396 4 speed,373 12 bolt posi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Valve covers do have the baffle. They are polished aluminum with the srtaight grooves cut in them. What does it do by moving the pcv valve to the drivers side?

Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 11:37 AM

Smile Re: What causes this ?

GM made our engines so they end to end and cross breath to help pull the crankcase blow-by vapors out!

That's why on holed valve cover engines, the PCV thing come's from the pass side back and it breath's in through the oil fill cap on the drivers side front. It cross flows..

The old engines are middle front to back flow.. Breath in middle of the intake manifold's oil filler tube and out through the hole by the dizzy.

I would put each diagonally opposite like stock if it's a newer holed valve cover engine that no longer has the road draft tube boss back next to the dizzy to get the cross flow needed to purge the blow-by out b/c if it isn't purged all over, it will eventually sludge your oil.

pdq67

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech

I built a closed PCV system for my '69 just because the vented oil cap was spewing a mist of oil on my aluminum valve cover.

I bought a chrome oil fill cap with a port on it and ran a hose to the bottom of the breather. My PCV is then hooked into the front big port on the bottom of my Edelbrock carburetor. These two hoses are diagonal from one another in orientation.

I have plenty of ventilation for the block and no oil residue on my valve covers.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks. I am going to change my setup and see what happens.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I switched the pcv to the front driver side and the baffle to the rear pass. side and it seems to have worked. No more oil on the valvecover.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode