LT1 Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

LT1 Engine

What do you guys think about placing an LT1 or LS1 fuel injection engine in a 1971 Camaro?

Last edited by vict0r; Feb 9th, 08 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 08, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Creight

Re: LT1 Engine

A LS1 gets from me
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

alright ...

lets say ... there's this site www.copart.com .. you got to be a member to bid on cars... there are many damaged cars ... could I buy like a 2000 camaro which is all broken up for cheap, just to get its engine?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 05:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

The LS1 is the way to go, but takes special motor mounts and everything else. The LT1 is a bolt in since it used the same motor mount design that was used for many years.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech

i'd say "yes" to either one.
for the LT1, find a 94 Caprice cop car with an LT1 for a cheap donor car. the only physical difference between the F body and B body LT1 is the cast iron heads on the B body engines- but that's a good thing, since they are just the fabled vortec heads with reverse cooling and are said by some to make more power than the oem aluminum heads on the F body motors. why did i specify a 94, you ask? because in 95, they went to the OBD2 electronics, which adds another level of complexity with it's after cat O2 sensors and more stringent ecm tuning. and why did i specify a cop car- because they didn't use the stupid VATS system that requires a key with a chip on it to start the car, which also adds another level of complexity. also, every B body LT1 had the "improved" vented optispark distributor. the Camaro and Vette didn't get that until 96, i think.
for an LS1 engine, if you can't find a Z28 parts car, just get a 5.3 or 6.0 out of a newer truck- they have made millions of them so far, and they are turning up in junkyards- and put a Camaro oil pan and intake on it, put it in, and go have some fun.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

which would be a better engine? LT1 or LS1 ?

as I stated before .. I was looking at this place where they have damaged cars in for bids.. some can go for real cheap...of which still have perfect engines in them...

at what year should I look at for a car as a donor? 80-85? 90-95 ?

I'm asking because I have no idea ... I am even wondering if, let's say ... I'd have a 2000 Camaro with a nice V8 engine.. could I take that out and place it in the 1971 camaro ?

Last edited by vict0r; Feb 10th, 08 at 09:07 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Like fit this (1996 Camaro Z28 engine)

in here (camaro 1971) ?

Or is it going to be a hell of a tough job that will require a lot of money?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 10:46 AM
steve

The lt1 swap will be easier on the wallet no doubt. as the others have said the ls1, 5.3, 6.0 motors will require mount adapters, if you don't plan on running the manifolds the headers are pretty pricy. But the power potential is great with the new style motors. If you found a wrecked mid 90's caprice (make sure it has the 5.7, some have a 4.3 v8 that looks just like the lt1), or 93-97 camaro/firebird. The lt1 will drop right in using the same mounts, headers, etc, that you already have. You will have to either run a high pressure inline pump, or fab up an intank pump to get your fuel system covered. As for the wiring make sure you get the complete engine harness from your donor car, there are lots of sites to help you cut all the crap out of the harness you will no longer need. Might look intimidating at first but take your time make it look neat and you will be fine. You can use your stock radiator, may have to play around in the hose isle at the parts store to come up with something that works. Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions, I have put a ls1 in 91 rx-7, 5.3 in 87 silverado, 2 lt1's in jeep wranglers, and working on putting a 5.3 in my 69c-10 and lt1 in my 69 camaro.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

so, you're telling me that I could use the v8 engine and components from like a 1990-1994 caprice? or is there a specific year to look after?

This one is a 1991 wrecked caprice

is this what you guys are talking about?

Last edited by vict0r; Feb 11th, 08 at 03:11 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech

the LT1 was put in 92-96 Vettes, 93-97Camaro/Firebird, and 94-96 Caprice/Roadmaster/big Olds/big caddy.
the LS1 came out in the 97 Vettes, 98-02 Camaro/Firebird, and 04 GTO.
the 5.3/6.0 that is based on the same engine family as the LS1 was first put in trucks starting in 99.
that Caprice in the pic you posted is at best a TBI350- and maybe a 305- which is just a regular old small block with throttle body fuel injection. not a bad motor for a daily driver- but not what you are looking for.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Not sure what years but some of the big cars (Caprice Roadmaster etc.) had a 4.3L LT1 instead of a 5.7L.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
the LT1 was put in 92-96 Vettes, 93-97Camaro/Firebird, and 94-96 Caprice/Roadmaster/big Olds/big caddy.
the LS1 came out in the 97 Vettes, 98-02 Camaro/Firebird, and 04 GTO.
the 5.3/6.0 that is based on the same engine family as the LS1 was first put in trucks starting in 99.
that Caprice in the pic you posted is at best a TBI350- and maybe a 305- which is just a regular old small block with throttle body fuel injection. not a bad motor for a daily driver- but not what you are looking for.

this is what I should look for ?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

You can build almost every part you need to do the swap into a first gen.
Kokamo did it DIRT cheap, he even made his own motor mounts... No need to throw gobs of money at it, just use your brain and the right tools and you can accomplish it.
Do the Ls1 if you can...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

1971 is 2nd gen..

but ok .. i'll look up into it.. thanks ...

http://www.blown.net/camaro68.html

that looks nice...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 08, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
You can build almost every part you need to do the swap into a first gen.
Kokamo did it DIRT cheap, he even made his own motor mounts... No need to throw gobs of money at it, just use your brain and the right tools and you can accomplish it.
Do the Ls1 if you can...
You know, I was going to post in this thread after the fifth post or so, but I kinda lost track of what Victor was asking.

I'll say now.....an LS1 in a second gen car would be soooooo much easier that a first gen. Simply because a second gen has front steering. That eliminates all the crap you have to do to make the steering work on a 1st gen.

Aj's right, I did a complete LS1 swap into my first gen for less than 200 bucks (not including the motor or trans). I had an entire 2000 Z-28 car to pick parts from so I made whatever I needed work.....from the steering colum all the way to the brakes......200 bucks.....all I did was use my brain, a torch and a welder.

Victor, yes.... "the LT1 was put in 92-96 Vettes, 93-97Camaro/Firebird, and 94-96 Caprice/Roadmaster/big Olds/big caddy."

That is exactly what you need to look for....for an LT1. Try to avoid steel heads if possible. Theres nothing wrong with them other than the fact that they are heavy.

If you want to swap in an LS1 into your 2nd gen Camaro, you will need to do three major changes......motor mounts, transmission cross member, and driveshaft lengthen/shorten. Other than that, you should not have any problems. The factory LS1 exhaust manifolds will work.

Hope this helps you out some.

Joe

1969 Camaro....LS1/T-56.............
In the early stages of Pro-Touring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode