Help selecting heads for my 496 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marcus

Help selecting heads for my 496

I'm in the process of building a 496 stroker. This is for a street car so I'm looking to build something that will be fun light to light. I'm looking for suggestions on what heads size/manufacturer to go with. I would like to stick with an oval port for the tq factor. I already have an air gap so I'm looking for a head that will complement the motors power from 1500-6500ish.

Not sure if it matters but by lower end will be forged.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Help selecting heads for my 496

I have a 489 that I used an RPM Air Gap on and Brodix 270CC Oval heads on (running about 9.8:1 compression). I wanted it to be a really fun driver and reliable so I wasn't so concerned with top end power and reving it past 6k. It seems on these boards that Brodix, Dart and AFR heads are the most popular. I would keep the intake runners small if you are interested in good low end torque which would be fun light to light.

I did desktop dyno on my build and I had over 400 ft/lbs of torque off idle (1000 rpm) and over 500 at 1500 rpm peaking at over 600 ft/lbs at 4300 rpm with a peak HP of 554 at 5500rpm. I am hoping that extremely flat torque curve will result in a very large smile on the driver. I still am working on the suspension but the motor is done and broken in, just waiting to go back in the car. I think I have a line on some cheap dyno time so I will have the motor dyno'd when it is back in the car running so I will have more solid numbers then. Given the weight of my car and how well blueprinted and matched the motor is, I am certain I am going to have a blast once it is in.

Check out my sig and link for more info on my build. Hope this helps and keep us updated on what you do!

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 02:36 PM

Mine D2k's at 551hp at 5500 rpm and 579 t at 4500 rpm w/ just about 9.8 to 1 CR, a CC 282S solid cam, a 3310-2 and a Strip Dom and cheap, 1.75" dia, 4-tube, long headers uncorked.

Just have cast-iron, 2.19"/1.88" Merlin heads on her b/c I was afraid of getting hosed locally to rebuild my good -781's.

I call her my great big "Tow-Truck" motor b/c I'm just a cam away from being able to work her in a Duelie!!

And thx to UDHarold, his modern custom flat tappet solid lifter cam is in my closet for when I want MORE POWER!!

It's 278/249/161, 110/106, .618" and need's .018" lash on both sides! I wanted a solid cam like CC's great old 288AR solid street roller and Harold came through!!

pdq67

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech

I put a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum oval heads on a 461 big block with a hydraulic roller cam and RPM air gap intake with around 10.4:1 compression and it's an animal. Very street friendly with lots of torque. Runs fine on pump premium.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marcus

Thanks for the info guys.

I just got back from my accountant and I'm getting wacked on my taxes. Lower is still gonna be forged but I'm trying to save money on some cast gm oval port heads. which ones should i go with.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Don't give up too easily. By the time you find/buy/ship a set of cast oval port heads, then have them rebuilt, you may be closer to what a set of aluminum cost than you think. On the other hand, the 781 and 049 castings are usually the ones that people are looking for. They are plentiful, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 08, 12:24 PM
Robert

I did a bunch of boat engines and the best head I used for ovals was the Merlin and the Darts almost as good. I never tried the Eddys but the marine version sounds very good.
One trick that always made more power was to angle mill the heads .100"-.125" and use an appropriate piston to keep the compression down. Zero to +.010" deck with a gasked about .040" thick helped, too. That will probably mean you can use flat top pistons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode