Tall Deck Question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howie

Send a message via Yahoo to Howielones
Tall Deck Question

I was thinking out loud like I always do about tall decks, cranks, strokes, rods etc.
Let's say I have a piston with certain compression height designed for 4.250 crank and rod of 6.385...in very simple terms that is the equivalent of 10.635 crank/rod combo length---right/wrong?? So along those lines would a 4.00 crank and rod of 6.635 inches yield the same results if all other things were identical? I know 6.635 rods are rare and I am in no way saying I am doing this presently(maybe 12 months from now) but a 4.00 crank saves alot of machining to clear even a 4.250 in some instances (and more common). Again it was just my brain on boredom!

I am having a 496 built right now, and got hold of another virgin 4 bolt, siamese bore, tall deck standard bore, and original deck height. Why have only one project going when you can drive yourself insane with two?!

68 plain old stocker Maro. 350/350 LeMans Blue, Black insides...496 in the garage waiting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Re: Tall Deck Question

Divide your rod length by your stroke length.
in my case: A 6.8" rod and a 3.74" stroke = 1.81:1 ratio.

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 08:46 PM

get long on the rods howie, long stroke stuff needs it, big strokers get the wrist pin placed so far up the pin bushing have to be cut for the oil ring. rods are cheap so get new ones.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howie

Send a message via Yahoo to Howielones

I kept hearing that about longer rods for strokers prostock. Thanks for the input.

68 plain old stocker Maro. 350/350 LeMans Blue, Black insides...496 in the garage waiting
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 06:37 PM

1st off, tall deck BIG TRUCK 366 and 427 blocks are not siamesed! Only Bowtie and aftermarket block's!!

2nd, a tall deck block is .400" taller so use FOR A 496 in a tall deck block at least 1/4" longer rods and adjust piston compression height. And I figure .400" longer rods can be used too! Please run the numbers here to check for sure.

And you may want to look into the rods out of a Vortec 8100 BB b/c they are LONG due to it being a 4.25" b x 4.37" s = 496" tall deck w/ SB LS-type heads, BB stock engine!

pdq67

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 04:09 PM

you can put some more crank in that tall deck 427, i would put the 4.25 crank in a short deck , but u can go 4.5, 4.625, or 4.75 in the tall deck. bigger=happy borexborexstrokex .7854= cu in per hole x 8 holes=v8 bore it .100 to 4.35 go big
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 05:14 PM

Smile Re: Tall Deck Question

Right, if you want to grind h-ll outta the lower end!

4.375" b x 4.60" s = 556.2"..

And this was done way back before the siamesed aftermarket blocks were around that we can NOW buy reasonably!!

My bet tho is on an aftemarket standard deck height block that's ...

4.56" b x 4.375" s = 571.6".............

OR taking her out to max at 4.625" to make a her 588".....................

He, He!! Stealth ALL the way..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode