Overheating new motor - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy Overheating new motor

Hey there,
I just put a brand new 460 in my 68. Motor is very strong but I am overheating. Water pump is brand new aluminium, radiator is 4 core w/electric fan. So I am guessing timing/jet problem? The carb is a proform 850 with 76 main jets and 86 secondary's. New MSD ignition Billet Dist. Crank timing is about 10 degree's advanced and the springs on the dist are the ones they come with the dark silver. I think I am at about 36 degree's total. Drove it the other day and temp kept going sky high 230/240...plugs are sooty so i know im to rich, guy that built my motor said that it was running too lean and it needed to have bigger jets and that should cool it back down and change the springs on the distributor......dont sound right if the plugs are black and I have fuel and soot coming out the back. Any help would be appreciated..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: Overheating new motor

Is the electric fan new too? Which side of the rad is it on, and is it sucking or blowing?

Yeah sooty plugs and nasty exhaust don't add up to lean do they. I guess you've checked the float levels?

Tim Smith
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

electric fan isnt new, no idea what it is off of but it blows ALOT its a 14 inch fan, its on the inside of he radiator blowing towards the motor. the floats were off a little but not much, I adjusted them they are fine right under the sight window. would the jets and timing make it run that hot?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Retarded timing causes heat and less power.

As for your jet sizes, my zz4 350 does real good with the exact jets you have on a 460. I may be 84's on my secondary though. They tell me a gasoline engine gets hot when lean.

Still doesn't add up to sooty plugs and stinky foul exhaust like you have.

What kind of timing light are you using? It's not one of those damthings with a dial on it is it? They lie their *** off.

Edit: I may be wrong about my jet sizes, maybe it's 76's and 80's. Hell Idunno. I have too many carbs and engines.

Tim Smith
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ya it is one of those damn ones with the dial lol..but my balancer has degree marks and i set the thing to zero and checked it to the marks on the balancer too unless that isnt acurate either with those, its a nice craftsman light though....what about changing the springs or the advance stop bushings in the distributor...they are the ones the MSD distributor came with but I dont know if I should start messing with that??? you think the initial timing isnt far enough? should i set it at ?...whatdoyathink?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 01:03 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

What temp is the thermostat? How long/far do you drive before it gets to 230/240*F. Is it possible that there is any air in the cooling system? You mentioned it was a new engine, so I thought it could be a possibility.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

after you drive for about 8/10 minutes it gets that hot.....im not sure of the thermostat temp, ill pop it out tomorrow and boil it and see...how do you check to c if there would be air in the cooling system?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Use a high flow thermostat.
Install an aftermarket coolant reservior.
Point front of car up an inclined driveway, all of the air will go to the rad cap when stat opens.
GM placed a rubber seal atop the rad support to seal the hood to prevent recirculation of hot air, especially on BBC A/C equipped cars.

BBC cylinder wall thickness gets thinner during an overbore and more heat gets conducted into the coolant.
Look for a min of 20°F differential temperature between inlet neck of rad and outlet neck.
Might even get one of those temp gauge rad caps.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

While the stat is out fill it to that level, then install the stat. Some guys also point the car uphill to get a little extra. Fill it slow, the air only has 1 way out.

I had a Snap dial back light lie when set at zero. It went swimming in the Gulfo de Mexico. In the 20 years since then I have only used little cheapo 100 dollar plain jane D cell powered lights and never had one lie.

Tim Smith
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Silly question but one that begs to be asked... air lock?

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

so if i am understanding correctly the overheating problem isnt the jets in the carb? as i mentioned that is what the shop that built the motor said it probably was, that and the advance on the distributor. does anyone think this may be it. the question I have is since it is running rich (the black smoke and crappy plugs) if I back the jets down wont this make it run hotter? or is it the reverse. or is it that I put larger jets on and advance the initial and this will keep it cooler( but if its already running fat it will run worse), im not sure or is it that i need to back the jets off, add change the springs in the distributor. man idunno im all confused now....lol

BUT I did check the thermostat this morning and it is a 160 and it is opening correctly. ( drilled a small hole in it long time ago too) the car is ramped up so im letting it sit and its topped off at the intake neck. should i get a high flow one and will it make that much diffrence?

Last edited by Atth2o; Mar 20th, 08 at 11:14 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 07:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Could your lower radiator intake hose be collapsing? the lower hose should have an internal coil to keep it from collapsing.

Seems to have enough radiator and (lean or rich) its getting hot rather quickly.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ya the lower hose has a coil in it, but weather it has colapsed is something i havent checked. I will do just that

let me add this for food for thought.......I put a 2500 stall in with this motor, I know it isnt much but i do know the shift points from the vacum module are probably off because the car had a stock stall in if before and the module was turned up......would this make it run hot?.........
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 11:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

how new is the radiator? Are you sure its not clogged? have you verified it is indeed "hot" by checking guages, or shooting it with an IR temp gun? If enough coolant is flowing and hitting enough fins, it should cool to somewhere in the thermostat range. If the temp contiues to rise and water flows as it runs, its more than likely a capacity or efficiency issue with the radiator.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 02:19 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Ya Im with joe, You must likely have both problems. You ran the same fan before? Electric fans can be picky some times. Some are made to pull or push. BB right ? some times they need 4 core alumin monsters with thier own duel fan windmill set up! Trust me the HNL boys have it all figured out. They run in long parades with moster BB blowers all kinds dual tunnle ram 4 barrel crazy stuff. They all run the same exact monster alumn. job with the dual fans they all use the same brand etc.. we're talking 20 plus cars. goodluck.

Most recent 01/01/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode