Decked Block and Heads, now Intake leaks - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Decked Block and Heads, now Intake leaks

To anyone who can help,
I had a 327 engine and 194 camel hump heads decked for my 67 about 12 years ago. After s marriage and a couple of kids I finally got the car running again but it is blowing steam out of breathers and exhaust and oil film is present in the intake and heads. After pulling the intake to re-seal it a couple of times I gave up and pulled the heads to have them checked for cracks. No issue with heads but the shop noted that the intake gaskets that were still stuck to the heads showed signs of not pinching down properly and suggested continuing to work on that problem. So my questions: 1) With the decking, what head gasket/Intake gasket combination would you recommend? Go thick on head gaskets and standard on Intake gaskets.... Standard on head gaskets and switch to a different intake gasket thickness to compensate.... 2) Block is bored .030 over, just wondering what the bore diameter is for a 327. I need to order the gaskets from out of state and have them shipped to teh car so I can assemble when I get home. I am sure these are not difficult questions for many of you but I am at a loss and getting extremely tired of assembling and disassembling this engine. About to go the crate route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: Decked Block and Heads, now Intake leaks

1. The intake may need milled. Bolt it up to one head only, with a gasket, then use a feeler gauge against the other head to see what you are dealing with.

2. 327 is 4.000 bore by 3 1/4 stroke. So you are 4.030

Tim Smith
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

I have 461 heads milled .0025 and my block was decked .030 on my 350 with an alum intake. The question I have to ask is... did you use the front and rear gaskets when you did the assembly ????

I was told not to because of the same problem you are going through. Run a bead of the black RTV sealent instead of the gaskets. You can see how my intake sits on the block and heads in my Sig Pictures without those gaskets.

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjoe63 View Post
I have 461 heads milled .0025 and my block was decked .030 on my 350 with an alum intake. The question I have to ask is... did you use the front and rear gaskets when you did the assembly ????

I was told not to because of the same problem you are going through. Run a bead of the black RTV sealent instead of the gaskets. You can see how my intake sits on the block and heads in my Sig Pictures without those gaskets.
sealant is always better!!!!

the rubber end seals usually leak....

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 06:29 PM

maybe the heads were cut before you got them, then u cut em, they could be cut .090 now. i have put on a felpro blue at .032 and a beaded steel at .017 stacked and used stock intake gaskets. use rtv on valley , sprayed the steel gskt with k&w copper spray and clean all gasket surfaces with solvent to get oil free, then use thin coat of rtv on intake gasket on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode