Header Driver side hangs Lower than Passenger - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Header Driver side hangs Lower than Passenger

Have a '67 rag top with 350/ 350 combo - column shift. Got a set of inexpensive headers - Flowtech part number 405001. Good fit, except the driver side hangs about 1" to 2" lower than the passender side. The Passenger side fits nicely with the frame but....i won't clear a nicely cut golf green with the driver side. (Lowered front end by means of a 2 " dropped sindle).

I know i can get better clearance by rotaing the flange, but. that is not going to even up the hang.

I have heard that the Thorley's fit better - at least dont have the uneven hang. Is that true for the '67 ragtop anyone?

Any suggestions for a better fit or just an even fit.

'67 Rag Top, 350, Th 350, Frame off resto to an SS clone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 02:05 PM
Tech Team

Re: Header Driver side hangs Lower than Passenger

I have some old thorley's and one is longer than the other. It's weird and wonder if they just messed up. But I just installed some sandersons in another car and those are really nice. The fit is perfect in a bb car that I had my doubts. I was expecting to have to beat on them to clear some stuff.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 02:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I didn't see that Flowtech part # so I'll ask if they are coated. If not then you can heat and bend the header upward. I used a floor jack to apply pressure while heating the tubes at the lowest bends. It worked great and you can't tell it happened. You'll need something more than a propane torch to get the job done. This was on a set of Hookers. Of course I had to repaint.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

They are coated. Not sure that bending will help as the tubes are just plain too low to the ground. I have the offending unit off the car now but not the passenger one so I can't check to see if they simply mixed a pair at the factory floor or what. The part number is stamped on the header at the flange on the inside. I too looked at the Flow master web site and could not id the part number.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Well coated wont work then. It's common on several header makes to have this problem so I doubt there was a mix up. Usally the collector area is where they tend to drag so bending upward helped for me at least. I've never ran Thorleys but it's a safe bet they will have much better clearence in every respect.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 03:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Had this hang down issue before but headers were Hookers, it was a common. Went to Thorley TriY, end of story.
You could have an incorrect motor mount stand too . You probably already checked that.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Think im ok with motor mount. If I had the wrong one i think that there would be a slant to the engine. The engine fits nice and square. Also if the mount was the wrong one on the drivers side, a "higher" one would rotate the engine towards the passenger side and I would not fit the fuel pump in - it is a tight fit to begin with. So I concluded that the mount is ok and I just have a dirvers side header that is designed too low or was not properly stamped during production.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Had this hang down issue before but headers were Hookers, it was a common. Went to Thorley TriY, end of story.
You could have an incorrect motor mount stand too . You probably already checked that.
Same here... I'm not sure what headers I took off it - they were too rusty to tell. The Thorely 376Y1C header fits really well.

I've always thought that the low left side was to clear the oil filter. It's a common issue.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 07:21 PM
Tech Team

Same thing here on Hooker Super Comps 69 camaro. Driver side is crazy low. Once I wear it through I will get a different set from someone else. Its tough having 600 dollars or so in a set and have to get rid of them. I have to do a partial pull of the engine which is no small task either on a nice finished car.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 07:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'm beginning to second think the posibility of bending coated headers. Not sure what kind of mess it would make to the coating but unless you have the chance to sell them what do you have to loose. The bends are at the lowest point on the header and only on the drivers side to boot. Sand it, paint it, whatever and call it good. I guess absolute show cars would be exempt but what the hay. I know it worked with Hooker 2451's on the '69 with 2" front drop. Just thinking out loud.

Robert

TC member #18
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 02:16 AM
Senior Tech

a lot of headers hang low on the driver's side like that becasue they are a "universal" header that fits pretty much everything that had a small block put in at the factory from 64-88 except for Vettes, Monzas, 82and up F bodies and pickups.. they are low like that to kick the driver's side head pipe down under the stock trans crossmember on the 77 and newer B bodies and 78 and newer A and G bodies.
the Dynomax headers i had on my Nova were like that, but the Hedmans i put on later weren't.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

I just called Holley (Flow Tech) and the tecky told me I'm effectively out of luck. They make that header (part nunber 31100) to fit just about every Chey so they make the dirver side ultra low to clear everything - except the ground it seems!!!!! Thanks for telling me now that they have my $!!!! WARNING TO THOSE BUYING THESE HEADERS. Supplier is not helpful as well. Anyone got pictures of a Thorley hanging off a '67 ragtop? I want to see them installed before I send the Flowtech's to the swap meet.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdslake View Post
I just called Holley (Flow Tech) and the tecky told me I'm effectively out of luck. They make that header (part nunber 31100) to fit just about every Chey so they make the dirver side ultra low to clear everything - except the ground it seems!!!!! Thanks for telling me now that they have my $!!!! WARNING TO THOSE BUYING THESE HEADERS. Supplier is not helpful as well. Anyone got pictures of a Thorley hanging off a '67 ragtop? I want to see them installed before I send the Flowtech's to the swap meet.
No pic but I just installed my Thorley's(376YC) this weekend and they are nice and tight to the floor, I can't imagine another long tube header offering more clearance. They fit great around the power steering box as well, closest tube is 3/4" away from it.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Thanks LCAC Man. I just got off the phone with Thorley. (Man I'm callin around before I leap into the header pool again!!!!) They are really helpful at Thorley's. hey suggested that for max ground clearance I should go with the THY 380 C which is not a Tri Y but a straight long header. Says the Tri Y are by definition less ground clearance than the standard collector version. Did U install the 376YC in a 67? I have column shift so that may be a problem - not sure.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdslake View Post
Says the Tri Y are by definition less ground clearance than the standard collector version. Did U install the 376YC in a 67? I have column shift so that may be a problem - not sure.
Yes, in my 67 ragtop SS350, I have floor shift though, I'll snap a couple pics tonight if I get a chance, shoot me you email address via pm and I'll send them to you. Not sure how the other model could offer more clearance, there's maybe 1/2" from the collector flange to the floorboads on mine.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode