? MSD in Engine Bay? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
? MSD in Engine Bay?

My brother and a buddy of mine asked me why I put my 6-AL in the engine bay.How bad is for the MSD to be in the engine bay,I see everyone doing it not that I'm going to change it now but just wondering....Thanks

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: ? MSD in Engine Bay?

Had My MSD 6A in the bay above the heater core for over ten years.........NO ISSUE at all.

My buddy who has the car now has had it for nearly 10+ now......Still no issues........

BTW I bought that unit new in 1885......Still works......

My 68 coupe that I begged for since age 6..350, 4 speed, new paint

See some progress below!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Trevor

I have mine in the glove box as far away from heat as possible. They are built really tough so having them in the engine bay won't really hurt them but they do generate a lot of heat so my thought is why add more heat.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I really like the look of it in the engine bay and see tons like this and have never heard anything about it untill I did it...

PRO.ST69orange

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original68fromauntsgarage View Post
BTW I bought that unit new in 1885......Still works......
WOW! That's pretty old.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
WOW! That's pretty old.
it doesnt overheat being next to the boiler?

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech
Laurence

Smile Re: ? MSD in Engine Bay?

MSD do not recommend installing it in the glove box- or other enclosed space, probably to let air circulate. In the engine compartment away from headers/ hot stuff is best!

..."you can never go fast enough"..driver,Two Lane Blacktop.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

I mounted the CDI Module over the Heater Box in my 70Z. I fabricated an aluminum Heat Shield to absorb heat from Heaters and put a PC Fan into one end of the Shield to circulate air. So far so Good.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Tell your brother it is a critical ignition component, and it is fully designed and engineered to withstand the under hood environment.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Thanks Chops,and every one else for the input I* feel a little better now..

PRO.ST69orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode