Chevy Engine Senior Project - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Chevy Engine Senior Project

I've been a chevy fan since I was 15 years old. Rebuilt a couple 1st gen camaros and played with nothing but V8 chevy motors both rat and mouse. I'm coming up into my last semester at college for electrical engineering and been talking with some people in the ME program on some kind of project that would be fun and worth doing and the love of motors came up. The project would have to include some kind of fuel injection setup along with a mechanical invention or modifcation to a chevy V8 engine. Thought of no better place to grab some ideas then this great forum. Any ideas would be great. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder
Re: Chevy Engine Senior Project

How about variable valve timing and/or Aftive Fuel Managment (cylinder decativation) retrofit for the GENI SBC?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 12:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Chevy Engine Senior Project

How about weight reduction and efficency projects?
Eliminating something heavy from the engine - like the starter equipment and then using a processor to locate the cylinder at TDC, charging with fuel and firing that cylinder first to start the engine, would allow increased efficency and eliminate weight ...
Might not be patentable/licensable, but would be a good EE/ME project.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 12:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Someone on here made a one off comment about utilizing a solenoid based system to open and close the valves, eliminating the cam/lifter/rocker. I thought that was an interesting idea.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 02:10 PM
Team Member
Matt

I don’t have a fuel injection recommendation, but there are other related EE projects that could go with it. For example, you may need a data acquisition system to monitor fuel pressure, fuel consumption, RPM, motor temp, etc. All the information could be stored in a data logger or a laptop.

Here are some EE/ME projects:

- Digital dash (digital speedo, tach, oil pressure, water temp, etc.)
- Can muscle cars be fitted with air bags? (Side impact air bags in the seat.) This may not be feasible, but it could be a fun project.
- Racing helmet that ‘speaks’ engine parameters as you race.
- Racing helmet that displays engine parameters on the upper part of the visor.

These may exist in one form or another, but you may put your own spin on it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

What limitation is does your school impose on senior design projects? Are you allowed to do something as a project that you can already buy off the shelf retail?

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Man I knew I would get some great ideas from everyone. Going to have a talk with the head of the EE department to get the limits on what we can do. So far after talking with people currently doing the project it needs to have some kind of marketing potenal so they can include that aspect into our field of study at school. As with all aspects of cars and engines $$ will be a bottle neck on how far we can go with this so currently available parts will be a major player. Will get more info...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4020 View Post
Someone on here made a one off comment about utilizing a solenoid based system to open and close the valves, eliminating the cam/lifter/rocker. I thought that was an interesting idea.
I had that idea several years ago. You could have the best of both worlds with that set up. Imagine being able to have short duration at low speeds and longer duration at high RPM?

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode