Comp Cams - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante'

Comp Cams

Hey guys, has anyone used comp cams extreme energy hydraulic roller big block cam. I am considering the extreme energy or the new thumper series. The new cams have good rpm range but the lift looks low compared to older camshaft designs. Under 600. I guess with technology you dont need big lift to make power.

69 Camaro SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Comp Cams

I'm gonna take the plunge and use a COMP Hyd Roller cam in my 1969 427. The cam I am looking at is part# CCA-11-443-8. My engine builder used this cam on another 427 he built over the winter for a customer. When he ran it on the dyno it made over 540 hp with 9.1:1 compression. Idle was choppy but nice.
He also said this cam will make more power than the Thumper cam.
Jack

Last edited by jackhammer505; Mar 26th, 08 at 12:08 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dante'

Thats funny because that is the same cam I was considering for my 427. It was between that xtreme energy and the thumper. I talked to a comp cam rep at an expo show and he stated that even with the low lift numbers it was an excellent street cam and would make good power.

69 Camaro SS

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 05:11 PM

Please consider onna UDHarold's Lunati cams OR onna his and be done w/ it, imho...

pdq67

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 04:59 AM
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Please consider onna UDHarold's Lunati cams OR onna his and be done w/ it, imho...

pdq67
Yep. I agree. At least do a search on Comp Cam failures. You will rethink using any of thier parts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

Dont be afraid to use any brand name cam. I personally do run a Lunati Voodoo (UD designed), but Cammotion, Bullet, Crane, Lunati, and Comp all make hood stuff. If you go with Comp spend the extra couple of bucks and make sure you get the a -9 (steel)core rather than he -8 (cast iron) and you'll be fine.

If you have time you should get in touch with Christ Straub as he will design a custom profile that matches your combo for even more power.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 05:16 PM

UDHarold for me.

pdq67

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

TDW,,

Please share your experience with your comp cam failure.........Those of us that have them and have had no issues with failure would like to know what happend to yours..

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 09:07 PM

i am running a comp hyd roller 614 lift in a 468. i love it first pass on it in a 70 camaro went a 7.68 through the mufflers in a street car.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Here's a couple links where you can read about how bad CompCams tech support screwed over a guy I know.

Their tech support line told him to change the gear on his distributor to the wrong one. The cast gear shredded and caused a catastrophic failure of the engine. Cost him about $4,000.
http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3092

Thread with CompCams final offer. Although they admitted to the error, their offer was to pay for the cam.
http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179426

Based on his experience alone, I won't buy anything from them. He's compiling contact info of others who's received the same advice (advice they still give out today knowing of the problem) and he's trying to find a lawyer to represent them as a class.

I don't know if the gear problem is a Ford thing only.

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 08, 06:56 AM
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjoe63 View Post
TDW,,

Please share your experience with your comp cam failure.........Those of us that have them and have had no issues with failure would like to know what happend to yours..

#34 Nov 22nd, 07, 09:31 AM
TDW
Senior Tech

Re: Comp cams failure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl...Mine was assembled by a reputable engine shop here. It was broken in on the dyno. Used Rotella with EOS. Had a total of 6 hours on the dyno due to different header sizes, carbs, and ignition systems being tested. At about 50 street miles, one of the Comp lifters came apart at the seam. It destroyed the cam and broke a hole in the block. We sent the cam and lifters back to Comp. Turns out the lifter was Chinese made. Thier tech man "Red" said the cam went bad first due to it being installed too far in the block. I found that real hard to believe and asked him to put that in writing for me. He refused to do that.

This is a summary from a post a while back. Like I said, do a search on Google. Type in "Comp cam failure".
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 08, 07:30 AM
TDW
Senior Tech
Tony

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 08, 08:22 AM

Question Re: Comp Cams

Whatever happened to the thread where somebody was trying to compile hardness data on cam failures a while back?

May even be a couple to three years ago?

Is it here or over at Big Brother, (aka, Team Chevelle??)....

B/c it would be GREAT to keep threads like this linked in a STICKY!!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode