Brand Name lifters ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Brand Name lifters ?

Comp....Sealed Power....Summit....NAPA

Any one lifter better than the other? .... HYD-flat tappet-454

Also...should one soak new lifters for a few hours or just coat em with molylube and throw em in?

Last edited by 74LS454; Mar 25th, 08 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Brand Name lifters ?

I always soak new hydraulic lifters, not for hours, for days. It makes me feel better. You only need assemly lube on the bottom, as you're installing them. Also, they need to be well cleaned with solvent first, they have a sticky "no rust" coating on em.

From what I've heard, pretty much every hydraulic lifter on the world comes from the same factory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I just disassembled and cleaned 16 hydraulic roller lifters. I guess I finished about a month ago thank God, man those things were nasty.
Soaking them isn't going to accomplish anything that doesn't happen in a few seconds under pressure. The thing works because there is a little wafer plate at top right below the hardened cup your pushrod sits in. The wafer acts as an orifice because the OD of the wafer is maybe a thou less than the ID it fits in. I would be amazed if ANY air escaped it in a swimming pool of oil for a decade long immersion.
Then there is the hole that meets the gallery. Inside the lifter from it is the spring and piston. The piston has a ball check at the bottom that allows flow from top to bottom. Pressure will open it but not gravity. Oil isn't going in the lifter unless it is forced.

I just clean em and pour oil on them. I use Cat cam and follower EP lube if I'm of a mind to. Back in the old days I built many an engine with STP, never heard of EP lube. Never barfed a cam. Never used anybody else's flavor of EP lube. But I like that Cat stuff, it has a brush and comes in a little can. Sometimes I just put it on the lobe, sometimes on the lifter face too. Usually both I guess, and man I make a mess with that stuff. I guess I've used it on at least a couple hundred industrial solid FT cams and use it at home if I'm not out or like I say if I'm of a mind to.

It gets like Wile E. Coyote and the Acme glue. I bet I'm a sight with half of me up inside a V-16 trying to lube the bottoms of the solid mushroom lifters. I need a new can, spilled my last one in the tool box of my truck. Sheeeesh what a stinkin mess.

I'm in tune with it makin you feel better though. Hell, I've soaked em. Can't hurt anything.

Tim Smith

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Never had a problem with a GM lifter. Dunk in a can of oil and use pushrod to pump up.
Add a can of GM EOS, er, AC/Delco EOS.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Never had a problem with a GM lifter. Dunk in a can of oil and use pushrod to pump up.
Add a can of GM EOS, er, AC/Delco EOS.
The GM lifters have the hardest bottoms out of any other hyd. flat tappet out there and we never have had soak our lifter as we prime all our engines on the stand before they leave the shop or go on the dyno.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech

I also soak lifters in a can of oil for at least a few hours. Those little air bubbles are coming from somewhere. It seems there are people that soak and don't soak that have never had problems. I even read an article that said not to soak. I think it just may be a personal-preference practice.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Sure, take your car to 5 different front end shops, get 5 different opinions.
I personally soak.

Better yet, put all lifters into a coffee can and fill with oil. Then place can into a see-thru vacuum chamber/bell and watch the air come right out.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 01:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

This is from Crane Cams tech area

Do Hydraulic Lifters Need to be Primed with Oil?
Many people mistakenly believe that hydraulic lifters must be soaked in oil overnight and be hand pumped up with a pushrod before installing into a new engine, however this is not necessary. In fact, this could cause the lifter to act as a ?solid? and prevent obtaining proper preload. What is very necessary is the priming of the entire engine?s oil system before starting up a new engine for the first time. This is done by turning the oil pump with a drill motor to force oil throughout the entire engine. Crane Cams offers oil pump primers for Chevrolet and Ford engines.

I coated the bottom of my lifters with assembly lube and squirted oil on the sides of the lifters. I didn't soak them, but did prime my engine for at least 10 mins making sure oil came through all the pushrods before I fired it up.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode