z-28 pulleys - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

z-28 pulleys

Hello guys,
I just bought a new crank pulley, water pump pulley and power steering pulley for my 350. I bought the Z-28 deep groove pulleys from Ground Up restoration catalog.
I thought this would be an easy bolt on, but if course it isn't for me.
The crank pulley is considerably deeper than the one I had on the engine, so the belts do not even come close to lining up.
Why the difference in the two crank pulleys? Does it have anything to do with the harmonic balance thickness? Even though my motor is not a DZ motor, I thought these pulleys would line up without difficulty. Any suggestions? The water pump pulley seems the same depth as what I had, it's the crank pulley that is different
RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Re: z-28 pulleys

Just wanted to add some info about above issue.
I have the correct pulleys according to part numbers shown on Camaros.org. They are the numbers shown for a 69 Z-28. The new crank pulley is about 3/8" different in depth than the one I had before. The water pump pulley is the same depth as before.
As far as 302 vs. 350: blocks are the same, I'm using long water pump, the only type used in 69, Is there a different water pump for a Z-28? Is the harmonic Balancer a different thickness in a Z-28 vs. a 350? I don't get why the two crank pulleys are different thicknesses. Any help appreciated. What am I not seeing here?
Thanks
RJ
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 05:00 PM

GM made three water pumps. A short, one a tad longer for I think, the 'Vette's, and the long one!

Have you been into the pulley Matrix here?

Please check it out and see if what you have matches up if by chance you lucked out and was able to buy NOS parts.

pdq67

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Pulley Matrix???
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 05:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: z-28 pulleys

Here's the link.

http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml#PulleySpreadsheet

Just checked, it's good??

pdq67

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

I saw that, that's how I determined that I have the appropriate Z-28 pulleys. I guess the real problem is that 302 and 350 crank pulleys are not interchangable like I thought they would be
rj
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 05:11 PM

Smile Re: z-28 pulleys

I will bet that the only difference in them is that the 302 pulley is a deep groove and the 350 isn't!

And fwiw, all my 350SS pulley's are on my 496!

Guy's,

What's the water pump pulley that is square shouldered and not cone-shaped fit?

I have a new one on the shelf and it was supposed to fit my set-up but didn't..

pdq67

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

The difference between the 302 and the 350 pulleys that I have is that the 302 pulley is 3/8" or so longer so the belts don't line up, I keep saying that, but it appently doesn't register for some readon, no disrespect meant to anyone. I've just been beating my head against the wall trying to explain this and am very frustrated.
Thanks anyway,
RJ
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Also, everything I read including from David Pozzi and on the CRG website says ALL 69 and later pulleys are deep groove. So why would they even be any different except in the diameters of the power steering, and water pump pulleys on the 302?
rj
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

At the risk of asking a dumb question,...is your balancer on all the way and the bolt tight?

I don't know of a difference in depth between balancers or pulleys for the long water pump, this could be part of the matrix PDQ is speaking of.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

I guess I give up, I've explained ad nauseum that the 350 balancer is all the way, was always all the way on, and before I put on the Z-28 pulleys, ALLL the belts lined up. Then when I put the Z-28 pulleys on, the crank pulley stuck out 3/8" too far, so the belts DO NOT line up anymore.
Sorry if I sound frustrated, but apparently the Z-28 crank pulley and the 350 crank pulley ARE NOT interchangable. That's really all I'm trying to verify, I guess. I'm surely not the first person who has tried to put Z-28 deep groove pulleys on a 350.
Thanks anyway
RJ
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

RJ, here's the real story. You have just learned an important lesson about reproduction foreign made junk. Most of the time they don't fit right.

Tonight I dug out one of my old original #668 CG deep groove 69 Z-28 pulleys and an old original GM #666 narrow groove 69 307/327/350 pulley. There is less than 1/16" difference between the two when they're both mounted to the same damper and measured to the center of the belt grooves. Also, not all the 69 and later pulleys are deep groove. Only the Z28, 396/375 horse, 427/425 horse and 454/LS6 got deep pulleys (except for some Corvettes, which we aren't discussing here). If they were all deep groove the #668 crank pulleys and #456 water pump pulleys wouldn't be selling for $275.00 each. Your problem is with the pulley manufacturer and whoever sold them to you, not with the original GM engineering or David Pozzi or anyone you think isn't sympathetic with your dilemma. We've all had to deal with this cr*p whenever we do anything like you are trying to do. Chill out..... you don't need three threads to answer one question.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 11:16 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Jon,

Would you mind to give the measurements of your original pulleys from the face of the HB to compare to the repo he has? RJ's is about 1 15/16" from the HB to the center of the first groove.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

So then when talking about REAL original 666 and 668 pulleys, the 302 and the 350 crank pulley really WOULD be interchangable. What a bunch of crap that turns out to be. Sorry if I sounded like a dick, but it does get pretty rediculous when you have to keep spending money for what you want, and then it doesn't fit, and you have to spend MORE money. Guess I'll try to find a REAL deep groove crank pulley somewhere so i'll have the full set like I've been trying to do. Thanks for your help.
RJ
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Don't give up just yet, we'll find the answer. Let's compare Jon's pulley measurements to yours. Ive heard of issues with aftermarket pulleys, let's wait and see.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode