no spark!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

no spark!!

i originally posted this in electrical section. wrong section so im moving it here.

im trying to start my engine that hasnt ran in ten years. i have a mallory magnetic breakerless distributor and a msd 6a if it helps any. the engine is turning when i crank it and its getting fuel but im not getting spark. ive even hooked up a spark plug to the coil and the spark plug isnt sparking. its the coil thats bad, right? i ask because i bought the coil new about seven years ago and im not sure if the coil can go bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: no spark!!

To test the coil for spark, hook ign wire to POS terminal of coil. Take a length of wire from NEG coil post and hold in hand. Plug wire in to the coil secondary tower, a spark plug to engine ground.

Turn on ign switch to IGN, with dist lead in hand, quickly touch & release neg post of coil for a half second or less. You should see a spark at plug. Good spark, good coil.

Coil passes test, bypass MSD.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Leave the distributor out of the equation. Using a spark plug wire with a Spark Plug ( Grounded) test the Coil by tapping the Negative Terminal of the Coils Primary Circuit to ground. You should see the Plug "Spark" indicating condition of Coil. If it sparks you can assume the Coil is good and suspect the Magnetic pickup in the distributor. Beware that a careless jumping procedure can cause Voltage spikes that can burn out Transistors in the CDI Module. I believe MSD has a procedure on their Site to Test whether the CDI Module is functioning.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Might also just try one of the easy things.. Get your little voltage light out and see if there is power getting to the coil at all Assuming you still have the yellow wire coming from the starter to the coil + terminal there should be power at cranking, then with the ign key in run positon you should be getting juice to the + terminal constantly. If not check the resistor and or the ignition fuse and wiring going to the coil. IF that checks good then try the afformentioned coild tests. Breakerless systems don't break down all that often, but do on ocaission.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

As mentioned ensure you have Power to the Coil and POWER to the CDI Module in both RUN and START positions of the Key. You should be able to run the engine with only the Mallory Distributor and Coil, providing the Ignition Wire is Resistance Type at 6V. If the Ignition Wire to the + Terminal of the Coil is 12 volts you will require Ballast Resistor when running with out the CDI Module (Dodges make a good - LOL) Don't take my word on this as I'm not familiar with MSD but MSD should have Info on their Site with instructions on how to Test their MSD Box and elaborate on the procedure to Test all components of the System. I personally run a Mallory HyFire VI box with a Mallory Mechanical Breakerless Magnetic Triggered Distributor.

One thing I could mention from experience is that a Magnetic Triggered Distributor may not like to be Grounded to an Aluminum Intake Manifold. It's best Grounded to the Engine Block.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

ok im not sure if i did this right but i hooked up a wire to the negative post of the coil and connected the wire to a spark wire with a spark plug connected to the spark wire. im getting 5.5 volts to the postive terminal of the coil and had the key set on ignition. nothing happened, no spark. did i do this right? if yes, my coil is bad right?

thank you for helping!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Not enough volts to jump the gap. You need to hotwire the coil to battery positive post, a full 12 volts.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

ok, i will do that tomorrow and see what happens and post what are the results. i hope i get the camaro started tomorrow. ill first hotwire the coil, then check the coil for spark, then go to start it up!! YES, i think tomorrow will be the day!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

ok, i hotwired the coil and its a no go. the same thing (reading 6v) happened so i disconnected the connection to the coil and read the voltage and its reading 12v now. the coil is the reason my voltage is dropping. if i get another coil i should get 12v, right?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Sounds like the points are closed and the voltage is shorting to ground, disconnect the - side, then check the voltage to the coil. If jumps up to the 12vdc then with the coil wire near the block quickly touch the black wire from the - post to the block and see if a spark jumps.

In mean time check that msd power cell for msd 6a has a good ground and that the + terminal has full battery voltage going to it.

Also check that red wire to msd has power. if not, fuse may be blown for ignition.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

i checked the voltage after i disconnected the wiring to the negative terminal of the coil and it came up 12v. i thought to myself, something isnt right and looked at my wiring and noticed two wires coming from the positive and negative posts of coil. yeah thats been the problem this whole time.

the right one is what i should of had and the wrong one is what i did have.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 08, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

i just got my car running today!!!! YES! i have to fix an oil leak coming from my oil pan and then break in my cam. after that ill try to post a video with the car running.

thanks guys!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 08, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Glad you got it fixed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode