Can I use 882 and 993 heads on 307 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
Can I use 882 and 993 heads on 307

I have my original 307 sitting in the corner of my garage and I want to rebuild it for fun, but don't want to spend a lot of $$ on this engine. I just installed a trickflow 420 top end kit on the 350 in my 69 camaro, but I have all these parts laying around and figure I could reuse most of this on the 307. The 307 needs a complete rebuild.

So I have one 882 head and one 993 head in excellent shape. I also have a performer cam which I kept the lifters/pushrods/and stamped rockers. I put them in a bag and numbered them so I won't need to break in my cam again. I also have a true double roller timing chain with chrome timing cover, a performer manifold, and performer 600 cfm carb. I also have a stock fuel pump, stock 6.25 harmonic balancer and pointer, stock oil pan and new oil pump, old chrome valve covers etc. This all came off my 350 and has less than 3000 miles. Basically I was going to get another set of heads and rebuild the 307 shortblock, but I can't seem to sell the heads. I figure if I can use them on the 307 provided I change the pistons i could probably rebuild this engine for cheap. Can these heads be used on a 307 or is the 76cc chamber way to big?

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Can I use 882 and 993 heads on 307

Yes, they can be used. They had a whopping 8:1 static CR.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech

On a flat top 307 with standard rebuilder gaskets, your looking at about 7.75-1 compression. BTDT. A better bet would be to yank some heads off of a 80's model carbed 305...it will have smaller chambers and won't have the bore to combustion chamber overhang like a 76cc 350 head will have. You might even be able to exchange your mismatched 76cc heads with a local rebuilder for a set of rebuilt 305 heads if you throw in a few bucks. I do that all the time as decent rebuildable 76cc 350 heads are getting harder to find.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 12:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Can I use 882 and 993 heads on 307

I totally agree with Travis about getting a set of heads that will contribute to the efficency of the engine rather than use large-chambered 350 heads on it.
Not to mention the fact that the 882 head ranks right up there with the lousiest stuff GM ever let out of a foundry
They are light-weight castings, have the 'multi'-exhaust crossover (to help them crack earlier) and they have terrible shaped ports that screw-up flow big time ...
The 993's aren't as bad a choice - except for that valve shrouding and big-chamber thingy

If you can't find a shop to work out a trade as suggested, you can find good heads to fit your engine at many 'pick-n-pull' type wrecking yards for very little money.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
I totally agree with Travis about getting a set of heads that will contribute to the efficency of the engine rather than use large-chambered 350 heads on it.
Not to mention the fact that the 882 head ranks right up there with the lousiest stuff GM ever let out of a foundry
They are light-weight castings, have the 'multi'-exhaust crossover (to help them crack earlier) and they have terrible shaped ports that screw-up flow big time ...
The 993's aren't as bad a choice - except for that valve shrouding and big-chamber thingy

If you can't find a shop to work out a trade as suggested, you can find good heads to fit your engine at many 'pick-n-pull' type wrecking yards for very little money.
Can you elaborate on this? what exactly is multi exhaust crossover and how are the ports different?
are these heads mentioned as bad as the 3917293 heads?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

i didn't even think about a trade with a local engine builder. Might give that a shot when I start the rebuild. No matter what I do, I can't sell these heads. Everyone is looking for 2.02 heads. If I had 2.02 heads, I wouldn't be selling them for such a low price.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech

The 882 casting uses a exhaust crossover conncted to 2 exhaust ports, instead of the usual 1 exhaust port. They are crack prone...more so than any of the earlier 76cc heads.
Too bad shipping would be so crazy shipping those heads...I need another 1.94 valved 993 head, and can always add to my stash of 882's.

The heads you have now have big chambers and the tiny 1.72/1.50 valves. Good for a low rpm truck application...and thats about it. They don't have hardened exhaust seats either for unleaded fuel.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 05:02 PM

Pick up a pair of 305HO, -601's or -416's and cc them, then check your CR. and go!

pdq67

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 08, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

Travis, pm me if your interested in the heads. I can email you pictures as well. Curently they are in the cylinder head bag and boxes that my trickflow heads came in. I checked ups.com and it would cost around 85 to ship them to skiatook OK from sturbridge MA. I factored in the cost using ups ground and that the heads weight 100lbs together.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 08, 12:15 PM

My -601's cost me $50 and like $50 to ship close by so go figure.

NOT knocking your numbers at all, just bitc-ing that S&H is becoming more than what things are worth, imo.

As we slip ever so FAST over into an IE!!

Not good at all but the one's that don't actually PRODUCE, have ta live too!! OFFA the rest of us!!

Years ago, I once bought a chain link fence ferrel from Sears for 34 cents and it came in a 3.5" cubed real cardboard box w/ 45 cents shipping!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode