Tap extractor ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 08, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Tap extractor ?

I like an idiot use a tap with a 3'8 air ratchet an broke it in the head for the headers. Has anyone used a tap extractor with success? Thanks in addvance.....

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 08, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: Tap extractor ?

Yes they work. Snap On is all I have used but I imagine others make them too...

Tim Smith
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 08, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Yes they work. Snap On is all I have used but I imagine others make them too...
Thank You this gives me a little hope...

PRO.ST69orange

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 08, 03:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Tap is hard stuff, very brittle. Last one I got out , I had to almost burn it out, made a mess and install helicoil. The head was off.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 08, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech

LOL...Flashback of my boss shaking in anger and telling me to get lost while he repaired my mistake.

Just be careful when "extracting" it, you can end up breaking the extractor or otherwise messing it up worse.

When it begins to bind, it's time to back up. Fluid is a must. Sometimes you may have to heat the surrouding metal. Hopefully with a couple squirts of penetrating fluid and a careful rocking motion will free it up and let it back out all the way. BTW: What you want to prevent is thread gawling - that's probably what caused it to break off in the first place. Little bits of metal get between the tap and the thread grove jamming up the works. Rocking back and forth should break off the cuttings and loosen up again.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 08, 07:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I sheared my crank pulley bolts off of mt blower motor. My buddy used left handed drill bit and they came right out. He did say it was hard to find the bits! good luck.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Guys, he's not after a bolt he's after a sheared off tap. You can't drill a tap. A tap extractor has 4 long male flutes that match the female flutes of a tap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Walto...em200210801047

http://www.waltontools.com/products/extractr.htm
they even show using it on a head

Tim Smith
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 03:06 PM
Tech Team
Cisco

You can try a hammer and punch. Gently tapping it counterclockwise until you can grab it with a needlenose pliers or needlenose vicegrips. Taps are hard and brittle so like Tim said you can't drill it out. In a pinch you can hit it with a hammer and punch until it breaks and take it out in pieces, the head is out of the car, right? Good Luck

1969 Convertible ZZ4/350 Hotchkis TVS West Coast Diff

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

No the head is on the car I hope the tap extractor from MSC works my buddy said we would get it....

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

You can't use an air ratchet with a tap. You have to work it, in back it up, work it in more and back it up a little. If you just keep going you bind them up.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

If/when you get the broken tap out of the head you may find that your going to to have to move up in thread/bolt size. By using that tap in an air ratchet I bet the tap acted almost like a drill bit removing the metal you wanted to make threads in.

Glacier Blue/Dover White 69 SB SS Restoclone.

99 Trans Am...my toy

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I have used the 2 and 4 finger tap extractors before and sometimes they do work. I would think they might work better in the cast iron, so that's in your favor. If you can get it to work back and forth just a little you might that that thing out of there. Use plenty of compressed air on it to get most of the chips and dust out of there.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by phel69 View Post
You can't use an air ratchet with a tap. You have to work it, in back it up, work it in more and back it up a little. If you just keep going you bind them up.
That's what I was taught, and then one day about 20 years ago I was having a bigass air intercooler for a big ugly 7000"³ V-12 resealed at a radiator shop in New Iberia Louisiana... walked in the door and a kid was running an impact with a 3/8NC tap in all the holes." 'eek' said I...wtf and whuffo you riskin my intercooler so casual like eh?!!" The child calmy replied "awww we don't break too many off and if we do we just weld a nut on em and take em out". Sheesh

Then one day about 15 years ago, the first time they sent my big dumb Okie *** up to Milwaukee where they make those ugly engines... we are cruisin thru their factory and at the end of the crank line I see this bigass rotatin head pop out with 3 drills and a second later there's 3 holes in the end of the crank.... it rotates out of the way and another gizmo with 3 bigass taps cuts threads in about under a minute I reckon .... and I'm going Sheesh these Yankees and Cajuns got biguns eh? Now I know the factory taps were on a power driver...NOT an impact.... and also the taps are sooper dooper stuff....NOT what you and I own. But I thought ' ya know fatboy let's give that **** a try'. And I did, and it works. For chasing threads, I never tried to cut threads. And I won't do it with less than a 1/2" tap and only when/where I won't get screwed too bad if it breaks. Never broke one with an impact. Hell guys, some of the junk I work on I may decide to chase a couple hundred sets of threads on a job if it's junky enough. And these old shoulders got better stuff to hurt for than runnin a stinkin tap. Of course you still have to go in and out with an impact same as by hand. Just use your ears and you can feel it too. Got to have an impact you can tickle, some flavors are hard as hell to feather the trigger.

Tim Smith
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Yeah I know all the things I should do but some times ya get stupid and tired and all that stuff but anyway the tap extractor worked and worked well. I'm so happy the car is off my [email protected] list its my friend again I don't want to sell it, burn it, or blow it up.Now I can get back to progressing.......

PRO.ST69orange

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Hank

When tapping cast iron,you do not use any oil or tapping fluid for tapping.
MBHD

Chevy 250 turbo EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode