what do i need to pass smog - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

what do i need to pass smog

I have a 383 small block chevy with a 350 trans from my el camino. I am trying to find a nova or camaro to put this combo in. My problem is the only camaros or novas I can find are 1976 and up. In california anything older then 1975 does not need smog. so I am trying to find out exactly what I need to put my 383 into a 1976 or newer body style. does anyone what I need to do as far as equipment. Hope someone can help. I will keep looking but the picking are a little scarce out here.

Jerryt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 08, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Re: what do i need to pass smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
I have a 383 small block chevy with a 350 trans from my el camino. I am trying to find a nova or camaro to put this combo in. My problem is the only camaros or novas I can find are 1976 and up. In california anything older then 1975 does not need smog. so I am trying to find out exactly what I need to put my 383 into a 1976 or newer body style. does anyone what I need to do as far as equipment. Hope someone can help. I will keep looking but the picking are a little scarce out here.

Jerryt
Spend the extra money and get an earlier model, you'll be dollars ahead in the long run.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 06:49 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Your '76 or newer will have to pass visual inspection before it even gets the tail pipe test. That means you'll have to have all factory bolt-ons under the hood for what ever year it is. Any aftermarket parts will have to have CARB certification and you prove that with the sticker that comes with the part from the manufacture.

If you buy the right car (one that hasn't been modified) it will have everything necessary under the hood already and teh seller is responsible for getting it smogged before transfering it to you. From there you can transfer everything to the 383 when you make the swap, the hard part is tuning the thing to pass smog the next time with the stroker under the hood.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
From there you can transfer everything to the 383 when you make the swap, the hard part is tuning the thing to pass smog the next time with the stroker under the hood.
Agreed, trying to get even a mildly built 383 to run cleanly at the stock static
timing spec's would be a challenge to say the least.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Can't you register any car over 20 years old as a classic and get away from the whole inspection thing? Or are you trying to build a daily driver?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 11:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleagecrisis View Post
Can't you register any car over 20 years old as a classic and get away from the whole inspection thing? Or are you trying to build a daily driver?
Not in CA and if you do register a car with "historic" plates the vehicle is greatly limited in it's use. I'm not 100% but basically to and from the trailer before and after the parade or exibit.

...Dennis

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 08, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Not in CA and if you do register a car with "historic" plates the vehicle is greatly limited in it's use. I'm not 100% but basically to and from the trailer before and after the parade or exibit.
Yep, pretty limited, cut from DMV site:
Anything with 16 or more cylinders manufactured before 1965, or anything manufactured before or in 1922, is considered a horseless carriage. You can apply for Horseless Carriage plates.
Vehicles manufactured after 1922 that are at least 25 years old are considered historic vehicles and are eligible for Historical Vehicle plates. These vehicles must be of historic interest, meaning that they are collectible and are used for exhibitions and car club meetings.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAC_Man View Post
Yep, pretty limited, cut from DMV site:
Anything with 16 or more cylinders manufactured before 1965, or anything manufactured before or in 1922, is considered a horseless carriage. You can apply for Horseless Carriage plates.
Vehicles manufactured after 1922 that are at least 25 years old are considered historic vehicles and are eligible for Historical Vehicle plates. These vehicles must be of historic interest, meaning that they are collectible and are used for exhibitions and car club meetings.
Who's to say you whether your going to a club meeting or not? Plus, who can afford to insure their hot rod for it's real value with regular insurance anyways? All the specialty insurance companies (e.g., Grundy) allow a pretty generous amount of yearly drive miles. How many people on this board daily drive their Camaros and carry full typical coverage, with the vehicle valued at it's true worth. I bet more don't than do. That's what my daily beater is for.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 09:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleagecrisis View Post
Who's to say you whether your going to a club meeting or not? Plus, who can afford to insure their hot rod for it's real value with regular insurance anyways? All the specialty insurance companies (e.g., Grundy) allow a pretty generous amount of yearly drive miles. How many people on this board daily drive their Camaros and carry full typical coverage, with the vehicle valued at it's true worth. I bet more don't than do. That's what my daily beater is for.

Trust me you are not going to convince the CA DMV that a '76 or newer (smog test required) car is a historic vehicle. That's where the bold part of this quote comes in...

Quote:
...are at least 25 years old are considered historic vehicles and are eligible for Historical Vehicle plates.
As for using classic ins on an old car daily driver, my money's on more being honest even if it's just out of fear the ins comp's investigation of the claim will uncover they daily drive the car and not pay up as well drop them. Drive an old car every day and people notice, they also like to talk about old cars...

...Dennis

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Sorry your California DMV gets to decide what they consider a "classic", regardless of the age. Doesn't work like that here in Texas. And I'm not talking about a daily driver, I'm talking about the car that comes out on Friday night or the weekends. I'm not talking about misleading anybody, just using the rules as they apply.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 12:36 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

There is no "classic" plate, it's "historic" which is a big difference. We have to fight the law makers every couple years to keep our cars out of smog inspections, getting a classic plate isn't likely...

You did suggest the majority here daily driving a classic are misleading their ins company.
Quote:
How many people on this board daily drive their Camaros and carry full typical coverage, with the vehicle valued at it's true worth. I bet more don't than do.
I was just replying to your comment...

...Dennis

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 05:54 PM

It's only b/c we can't afford to feed them!

Gas is $3.099 here.......................

pdq67

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

You did suggest the majority here daily driving a classic are misleading their ins company.
Quote:
How many people on this board daily drive their Camaros and carry full typical coverage, with the vehicle valued at it's true worth. I bet more don't than do.

I was just replying to your comment...

What I meant to say, however it was interpreted, was that most people on this board probably don't use their Camaros as daily drivers or carry that type of insurance on them. My experience has been most early model Camaro owners have specialty insurance carriers and put limited miles on their Camaros. That type of insurance is cheaper than using your classic Camaro valued at $20K for a daily driver and carrying that full range of insurance. Here in Texas, I can by register my car as a "classic", with '76 plates and get around the inspection thing. I wasn't implying people are lying to their insurance companies, I was trying to offer a suggestion for a guy to drive his 383 on the street. Anyways, I'm done with the subject.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I carry "the full range of insurance" on my Camaro from Haggerty and its insured for a bunch more than 20K. I carry 100/300 liability, comprehensive (fire and theft), collision, under/uninsured driver, etc. and its alot cheaper than carrying the same under a conventional policy, specifically because I do give up some of the driving options that I have on my daily drivers. In Mass we can register the car as an antique at the DMV, but that severely limits your driving options to parades and other similar events. The limitations are more restrictive than the insurance policy requirements. So mine remains registered as a passenger vehicle.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 02:53 PM

Oooop's, my bad! $3.249 now!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode