Oil Squirting out form oil filter - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rob

Oil Squirting out form oil filter

OK - So the big day arrives and I finally get to got and try start my newly rebuilt BB motor for the very first time. Fluids are all full and after checking and then re-checking everything multi-able times time has come to crank this bad boy over. But to my chagrin I have oil spraying out from the top of the oil filter! I tried tightening it to no avail. So I thought that maybe it was a bad filter ... and the same thing. I can't figure out what the deal is here. The only thing that I can figure is that there is No gasket between the oil filter adapter (GM Part # 3952301) and the block. So it's metal on metal in there.

Way back when I installed the adapter I thought that was odd and called around to several Chevy dealers and they all told me that there is no gasket there and the filter is what actually seals everything to the block. Funny thing is - the Mr. Gasket version of the adapter (see summit and jegs) does come with a gasket. The oil filter reasoning makes some sense ... but the metal to metal thing seems odd and I am getting oil spaying out of the top of the filter were it should be sealing it self. Any ideas what might be going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Oil Squirting out form oil filter

I've had that happen to me twice. The first time we accidentally pinched a wire between the filter and block. The second time, the rubber from the old filter was still in place - 2 O-rings.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
The second time, the rubber from the old filter was still in place - 2 O-rings.
Ha!!! Ummm....errr....I know a guy around here that did that once as well...It made quite a mess, I mean I heard he had quite a mess to clean up.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rob

So now that I wasn't seeing red any longer over this oil filter problem ... Upon further review I figured out what the problem was. The problem now is that I have nobody to blame but me! When I looked at the filters I was turning to use today, I noticed that the rubber seal on the filters were on the "inside" of the filters. I knew right away that the filters I need to be using should have the rubber seal more cowards the outside ring of the filters. Luckily I had a couple for these "in stock" on my garage shelf and screwed on them on. Problem solved! No more leaking when cracking the motor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech
Daral

Rob - In all the discussion about oil filter leaks, you never told us if your engine started.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

And also, do not use a Fram filter, Please!!!

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
And also, do not use a Fram filter, Please!!!
I'll second that! You can check on the net for this.

capt
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 08:30 AM
Kevin

Rob, I am expecting your copo to come driving up my driveway soon! also, with all my parts in there, I get a test drive, right?

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

whats up with the fram filters?iv used them for years and never had a problem with them

clayton hicker
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daral View Post
Rob - In all the discussion about oil filter leaks, you never told us if your engine started.
Daral - Sorry I got side tracked a bit. But yes, after cranking the beast for a bit to circulate the oil and get the galleys filled with oil, spray a little ether into the carb the motor fired right up! Sounds great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Rob, I am expecting your copo to come driving up my driveway soon! also, with all my parts in there, I get a test drive, right?
Kevin - Shouldn't be too long now. A brake line leak a transmission line leak and another small leak to fix. Plus the coolant temp gauge doesn’t seem to be working and the Oil Pressure gauge reads 80 psi. It smells like it is running rich, so there is some work to done there as well other tuning. Need to but the grill in etc ... But it's getting pretty close. Still have my 15" rallies on it (50's in the back), so I still need to go the tire and wheel route. But I think by June ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode