Camshaft options, opinins needed. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Camshaft options, opinins needed.

I have a 1969 350 with a .030 overbore and I going to rebuild it soon. When I got the car, the cam was a Comp Cams Magnum 292H. 292/292 501/501

After a few months, I started losing power and I couldn't get the timing right so I pulled the motor and started disassembling it and found 2 lobes rounded off of the cam.

I've been reading some bad things about Comp Cams and the lobe issues so I want to ask you guys what cam manufacturer I should go for instead of Comp. I'd like something with the same qualities/specs or close to them. I loved the lopey idle and it made great power but I don't trust Comp anymore.

I've been looking at Crane, Lunati and Trickflow but I don't know what I should go for. I'm pretty new to engine building so any help is appreciated.

Here are the original cam specs. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku

Thanks guys, Jeff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
jim

Re: Camshaft options, opinins needed.

Cam selection is completely dependent on the rest of your setup. Including converter stall, rear gear and driving preference. There are many threads already here to choose from so do some reading and if you still have questions we’ll tackle it then.

67 RS Deluxe Int. A/C car
TKO-600
400 4 bolt block .03 over
Ported 215 Pro1 Platinums
Forged/balanced 400 crank, pistons, 6" rods
286HR cam w/1.6 rckrs LS1 beehives
Forgelines, 18"f 19"r, 4 link w/ minitub
IROC s/gear, 4 wheel discs
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 01:30 PM
Banned
Ron

Stay away from the regrinds!....That's most likely what caused your 2 rounded lobes....You can't go wrong with a nice new Lunati cam!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 01:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

If your car was okay with the 292H I can recommend the Lunati VooDoo 60104. A little less duration with a little more lift. Nice lopey idle and revs quick.

Advertised Duration IN/EX: 276/284
Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 233/241
Gross Valve Lift IN/EX: .504"/.525"
LSA / ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash IN/EX: Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2200-6400

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

The world of flat tappet cams has changed.. . .with the OEM's going hyd roller or overhead valve core quality has dropped along with lifter quality and origin of mfg. Take this and add the EPA has made oil companies take out all the anti wear additives in oil a flat tappet cam for the future is not a good idea. I am told by some respected people in the industry that the life of a flat tappet cam nowdays is around 15 to 20K miles before it goes flat.

I would recommend hyd or solid roller.

Chris

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Chris, what have you heard about the nitride hardening Comp is offering? anything?

Tim Smith
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I'd like to go for a hyroller but 1k for cam and lifters is just out of my price range.

I've read most of the cam threads on here and have gotten some good ideas. Currently my car has a 2500 stall in a th350 and a 10 bolt with 4.56 gears. I'd like to go with 4.11's though later down the road.

I'll have to check out the Lunati. Thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Chris, what have you heard about the nitride hardening Comp is offering? anything?
Tim,
Doesn't matter if the lifter doesn't have proper crown or the cam lobe doesn't have taper. If the lifter doesn't spin it just peels the lobe off.

Chris

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepsiS View Post
I'd like to go for a hyroller but 1k for cam and lifters is just out of my price range.

I've read most of the cam threads on here and have gotten some good ideas. Currently my car has a 2500 stall in a th350 and a 10 bolt with 4.56 gears. I'd like to go with 4.11's though later down the road.

I'll have to check out the Lunati. Thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming.
I understand but let me give you another way to look at it.

Flat tappet cam and lifters $200
Intstall time $0 to $200
breakin oil/filter $30
Total $230 to 430
IF the cam fails, double the above then add up bearings, gaskets, and labor to pull engine appart to clean and install new bearings. That $1000 for the hyd roller may put you ahead of the game...

Chris

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thats a good way of looking at it Chris.

Which roller would you suggest? Would the Comp Thumpr be good? Or should I expect just another ****ty comp cam?

Also, for roller cams, the lift is usually higher, so what should I be looking for as far as specs if I used the 292H and it was perfect?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a newbie.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 02:50 PM

Buy some CHEAP "SF" grade oil from Walmart if you can find it and then add half a small bottle of EOS or whatever they call it nowadays and go!

And I always put moly lube on the lobes, the lifter feet, p/r ends and rocker balls and change my oil and filter after it's broken in and repeat the cheap oil and EOS along w/ a new filter.

pdq67

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
I understand but let me give you another way to look at it.

Flat tappet cam and lifters $200
Intstall time $0 to $200
breakin oil/filter $30
Total $230 to 430
IF the cam fails, double the above then add up bearings, gaskets, and labor to pull engine appart to clean and install new bearings. That $1000 for the hyd roller may put you ahead of the game...
I couldn't agree more. All it took was one lobe wiped to convince me.

68 383, TH-350, 3.55 Eaton Posi, Holley SA 770, RPM Air Gap, World Sportsman II, ISKY Roller Cam
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Buy some CHEAP "SF" grade oil from Walmart if you can find it and then add half a small bottle of EOS or whatever they call it nowadays and go!

And I always put moly lube on the lobes, the lifter feet, p/r ends and rocker balls and change my oil and filter after it's broken in and repeat the cheap oil and EOS along w/ a new filter.

pdq67
Paul,
All that doesn't matter. Look I love flat tappets. For a period of time I ground more SBC flat tappets then anything and then came '02 and the lifter issues. Also you don't Detroit using flat tappet cams anymore so core suppliers are not held to the PPM defective rate of the last 50 years. Lube will do nothing for you if the lifter can't rotate.

Chris

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 05:52 PM

Chris,

What keep's them from rotating if I make darn sure and hand spin them in their bores when I assemble it and I use the lube and oil and break the cam in right like I've always done?

Are you saying the cores you have to use nowadays suck so therefore you shouldn't be selling flat-tappet cams ground on them??

pdq67

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Chris,

What keep's them from rotating if I make darn sure and hand spin them in their bores when I assemble it and I use the lube and oil and break the cam in right like I've always done?

Are you saying the cores you have to use nowadays suck so therefore you shouldn't be selling flat-tappet cams ground on them??

pdq67
The lobe has to have taper and the tappet has to have crown. If the lobe is flat, straight across, and/or the lifter is flat, no crown then the lifter will not rotate in the bore.

Are there cam cores coming from China, you bet. It is junk.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode