Oil pressure line through firewall - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

Smile Oil pressure line through firewall

Help- I posted this question some time back in the body shop forum, but could not get the answer I need. I need dimensions to locate the proper firewall hole location for the oil pressure line on a 1969 firewall. There is supposed to be an existing dimple according to the AIM, but I can't find one. If you have the time, please tape a few measurements for me, such as:
distance right or left of the midline (or other obvious landmark) and distance down from the crown of the firewall. Thanks!!

1969 RS Convert ON THE ROAD AT LAST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 07:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Oil pressure line through firewall

I just got thru with this but did not use the copper or plastic line covered with small vacumn hose for protection. I have never had a copper or plastic break in the 50+ years of rodding but I have heard of some as the newer copper tubing is just too cheap and thin.
I did use the hole thru the firewall grommet left of the accel pedal. For safety reasons, I just routed thru a newly made hole, above the speedometer cable (Z car here), I used a stainless wrapped hose with inverted flare end, installed a grommet around the hose then thru the fire wall hole I made, about 5/8" hole. I then used inverted flare fittings on both block and gauge. Now I know I will never pop a hot oil pressure line , in the interior, as long as I live.
As for the indention in the firewall, it was about at an 11 0'clock position, looking at the firewall from under the hood. Hope this helps.

You could also use the 1/8" compression BULKHEAD type fitting where the line does not pass thru the fire wall. I have seen this done very neatly. There are some photos on this site if you do a search on the subject.
Also notice in the AIM manual, page 30, show the interior cowl pad + where the oil line was suppose to go thru. No other markings that I can see. Also check page 9, you should see something that will give you some ideas. Hole #3 for the U17 option may be what you are looking for.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zdld17; Apr 2nd, 08 at 07:43 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Duke

Question Re: Oil pressure line through firewall

Anybody able to provide the dimensions to locate the proper hole in the firewall for the oil prerssure line?

1969 RS Convert ON THE ROAD AT LAST!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 05:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I use a Mechanical Oil Pressure gauge and would not have it any other way. I use it more then either the Tach or Speedo. I would never trust nylon, copper or steel lines. Use high grade high pressure hydraulic hose. It does not necessarily have to be encased but you must use a Rubber Grommet where it passes through the firewall. The size and location of the hole in the firewall is relevant to the size of the hose and the path from where you tap the engine block to where you mount the gauge.

I have used a Brass Fitting mounted on and through the firewall to which the hydraulic hose attaches in the engine bay and then run a nylon hose to the gauge mounted in the dash with success. Remember to loop both hoses to eliminate stress caused by flex.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 05:03 PM
David

To bad you didn't get a straight answer to your question. I to need the stock hole location.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowersby View Post
To bad you didn't get a straight answer to your question. I to need the stock hole location.
See if this helps...

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil line location.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	30428   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil tube location.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	30429  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 06:24 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

It isn't very easy to find in the AIM on page 9 as item 3 not to be confused with the radio grounding and capacitors in locations marked 2 on the firewall.

Feel your way to the left of the wiper housing to the second dimple you feel. It comes out dead on just above where the oil pressure plug on the block is.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 07:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

There should be a dimple in the firewall that was used by the factory to punch the hole for the grommet that was used with the oil pressure gauge. It's what I used for factory and aftermarket gauges both. It's pretty much directly behind the distributor...

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 12, 06:51 AM
Banned
Chet

Put the hole where it will be most convenient for you. Really not that critical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode